DMT 11.5 x 2.5 Plates Special Order Grits 4000, 6000, 8000 - Pre-Buy/Gauging Interest

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I am thinking to place a special order for plates in 4000, 6000 and 8000 grits for this particular size - 11.5x2.5

DMT plates work very well on alloyed steels with higher wear resistance as well as any steel. They cut very fast.

I have these plates for years now, and am very happy with the performance. I also use them as strop base for pads with magnetic backing. The advantage - you can use different pads with different abrasives, damaged pads are easy to replace (as opposed to strop on a wooden base).
These plates will come with elevated silicone feet, or an optional wooden holder.

I need to order minimum quantities of these plates in each grit. I will also order some 600, and 1000.

If there is enough potential interest, I will contact DMT and get their quote and then convey the prices. I am not sure what they charge these days, haven't purchased from them for a long time.

Thanks

Marko

I'd be interested in one. Grit isn't as important to me but I'm most interested in 600 or 4000.
I'd also prefer a wooden base to silicon feet.

I need to order 6 minimum of each grit (4000, 6000, 8000), so if there is enough interest interest I will do an order. The other grits, are stock items, I could order any quantities.

I'll give a slight nod of interest. I'd have to see a price tag before I sign up, diamond stones can get kindof pricey b

I will go ahead and get the quote from DMT and post prices once I hear from them.

Thanks,

Marko

4k sounds interesting.

I have been using DMT plates for years. My go-to plate is 1000 and then I either go straight to a felt with 1M diamond, or jump to 8K plate and finish on a felt. I get a razor sharp, aggressive edge, that cuts very well and lasts the longest. The other day I went to sharpening on water stones, and then quickly went back to the diamond plates. The speed of cutting is very different, especially if you sharpen A2 or D2 or any other tool steels and that did it for me.

These plates are not inexpensive, but one doesn't need to flatten or soak them, they cut fast all steels, last a long time - I have had mine for 3 years now and they are still going strong, and double as a strop base - you can have several stropping pads with different abrasives, depending on the steel.

I don't view sharpening as a Zen-like experience, so for me these plates are just the right fit in terms of cutting speed and 11.5" length is just the right length.

8000 has been a great plate for touching the knife in between sharpening, so I suspect the 4000 or 6000 would excel at this task.

I really like my 8K, I'd be interested in a 4K. What grit would you recommend for setting bevels? And I need a few new felt pads.

I think 600 is a great stone for setting bevels. I use 1000 most of the time, as by the time I am done polishing a knife, the edge is pretty thin, so droppind down to 600 is not necessary, but I could certainly do that, and then refine on 1000, and then jump to 4-8K or go straight to the strop.

I am mostly interested in a working edge, and 1K refined by a strop is all I need for my cooking, but if folks want a hair popping sharpness, a progression of 600, 1000, 4000 and strop would be a good way. Also, I strop in between the grits, and that seem to affect overall sharpness.

I really like my 8K, I'd be interested in a 4K. What grit would you recommend for setting bevels? And I need a few new felt pads.

Marko I am also interested in 1K and 4K to go with my 8K

I would love to join the buying group, but first I would like to know the prices on these.

Back