My first cleaver out of Hong Kong

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blen

Reaction score
Heading for Hong Kong next week. Shanghai street and CCK are planned for a visit. Any advise for my first cleaver (vegetable one and small bones one(chicken, lamb rack,...)). What price range can I expect over there? Thanks for all your tips and tricks.

I haven't been to Hong Kong for a very long time but I like your choice of both a light weight vegetable cleaver and a small bone/all purpose cleaver. You see a lot more of the all purpose types in Chinese homes than you do the no bones allowed light weight vegetable kind.

A Hong Kong native co-worker went back home for a visit last year and I asked him to bring back a cleaver I could use full time in our kitchen to mash out veg prep. He brought me back a CCK stainless #2. It's perfect and after a nice thinning and the occasional hit on a stone it's perfect all around. If you check their website online before leaving you might have an easier time for reference as they have a huge line and it looks to me like just a small amount of it is available in USA. I had to go online to identify which one he bought me as I couldn't find it through USA retailers. Mine cost 40$ish so you should be able to find your hearts desire for less than 100$

I have a CCK 1303 (probably their standard vegetable cleaver) as well as a Kong Kau Chopper I picked up in person in Hong Kong. It's the middle size of that line, I believe it's called large. It's a nice thick blade, and the softer steel gives me confidence when I'm working around bones, or going through them. I'm happy to have both.

Finally here it is: my first Chinese chopper bought today at CCK Hong Kong.
The KF1303 blue steel small slicer for 260 HKD, maybe I will return tomorrow for the KF1402 Kau Kong chopper too :biggrin:
0711988e6e2ba327b49b13880c033475_zpsbmmpttyv.jpg

Finally here it is: my first Chinese chopper bought today at CCK Hong Kong.
The KF1303 blue steel small slicer for 260 HKD, maybe I will return tomorrow for the KF1402 Kau Kong chopper too :biggrin:
0711988e6e2ba327b49b13880c033475_zpsbmmpttyv.jpg

Sweet! Makes me want to take a trip to Hong Kong myself! :doublethumbsup:

Couldn't hold myself and went back for the KF1402 Kau Kong chopper too. :running:
17a69bc2690efb541af7654c439d5ea3_zpspygk6md2.jpg

Be careful of the 1402 on really heavy bones. I had been using mine for some time on chicken and pork ribs but I made the mistake of trying to chop some large beef ribs up for stock. Dinged the blade pretty bad on those.

Be careful of the 1402 on really heavy bones. I had been using mine for some time on chicken and pork ribs but I made the mistake of trying to chop some large beef ribs up for stock. Dinged the blade pretty bad on those.
Thanks for the advise.
Mine wil be used mainly for chicken, pork ribs, rabbit and flying game.
So it should be fine.

I have a bone cleaver from them, it is awesome, they made very good Chinese cleaver

Back