Knife ran through dishwasher

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havox07

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Roomate through my ealy paring knife through the dishwasher. The handle seems pretty screwed, the scales are warping and the mammoth tooth piece has come loose from between the scale pieces. I assume I am screwed? Would need entirely new scales? Pics

Lesson learned.... make him carry the repair cost (if you warned him about not doing that), put a big sign "Unlike some supposedly not dishwasher proof plastic items nobody cares about, wood handled and carbon steel stuff will fall to pieces instantly" on the dishwasher at the very least.

I suppose you could remove the scales, flatten their back and refinish the whole handle with new pins. It will be a little thinner but you might not notice that much. Doesn't look like material you would just want to throw away to me. Still friends?

Stereo Pete had a simailar situation with a dishwasher knife… there's a wip thread somewhere. Sadly I think the current handle is toast, you may be able to reuse the mammoth, but it would need to be done very carefully since there's literally nothing to grind way with shaping

Seems like a good reason to buy jessf a 24 and have a bbq.

Yikes! I'm going to say contact Del and see what he thinks. Besides being the guy who made the handle he's pretty smart so if anyone can help it'd be him. Good luck to you!

PS - I live cheflivengood's idea best :D

Back