Holiday Treats

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haburn

Reaction score
I scheduled some extra time for store knives and other projects this holiday season. I will be offering a range of knives from very minimalist gyutos at lower price points to one or two high end pieces.
There will be the occasional WIP photo here and a heads up what's headed for the store.
If there are any knife type requests please let me know through this thread. Thanks for reading and here's my friendly cat:

UXGbW1Nl.jpg

Well the obvious honyaki petty 170/180mm long. not iron wood handle but still a darker super sexy material exuding class. Maybe you use a nice piece of scrap damascus as a bolster, etched. Also maybe you email me before she goes up and it somehow pops up sold when it's posted.

:knife:

Part cat part bat?
Yes. Also extra toes. :biggrin:

`hahahaha . bread knife :viking:
Oh. Yes. Eventually I would like to offer some crazy bread knives, but it's not going to happen for a while.

Well the obvious honyaki petty 170/180mm long. not iron wood handle but still a darker super sexy material exuding class. Maybe you use a nice piece of scrap damascus as a bolster, etched. Also maybe you email me before she goes up and it somehow pops up sold when it's posted.

:knife:

Hey man! I can't fault you for trying, but that's a little of the specific side. :biggrin:

Hey man! I can't fault you for trying, but that's a little of the specific side. :biggrin:

Up to you lol, worse case september ;) we all know I really want a honyaki petty. I suppose I'd settle for honyaki petty anything but iron wood

Another cool idea might be forge a few 210/240 gyutos ministerial and let people pick handles $400/$450 handless and than + whatever for handles $150- infinity maybe do 2 in 52100 and offer honyaki for +$100 or whatever you think is fair. Basically semi customs but you could bang them out with a 15 minute fb chat or a few e-mails. As the only customisation would be handle materials and honyaki vs not honyaki.

Another cool idea might be forge a few 210/240 gyutos ministerial and let people pick handles $400/$450 handless and than + whatever for handles $150- infinity maybe do 2 in 52100 and offer honyaki for +$100 or whatever you think is fair. Basically semi customs but you could bang them out with a 15 minute fb chat or a few e-mails. As the only customisation would be handle materials and honyaki vs not honyaki.

I'll second the idea of posting blades for sale, and then giving buyers some limited choice of woods/materials that you have on hand, with a simple/basic handle design so that the knife would be somewhat personalized for the buyer. And hopefully wouldn't be too much extra work for you.

Breaking knife then
I like it!
A bread knife is in the future, but I need to order some custom tooling which is too long of lead time for the holidays.
Steak knife set (of 4)!
Good idea!

I'll second the idea of posting blades for sale, and then giving buyers some limited choice of woods/materials that you have on hand, with a simple/basic handle design so that the knife would be somewhat personalized for the buyer. And hopefully wouldn't be too much extra work for you.
It's a good concept I understand why you and Evan are requesting it, but I'm going to stick with ready to ship store knives and custom orders for now. :)

I think your system is working out pretty well ! Lol. I'd stick to the most common shapes and sizes for store ready. But I'm sure whatever you made would sell in short order.

Holiday Treat #1
Damascus san mai gyuto with a 52100 core and a total of 750 layers for the jacket resulting in a very fine pattern. The handle is carbon fiber, nickel silver, and exhibition grade two-tone curly koa.

gTTAQRvh.jpg

deUpeenh.jpg

ybLkAIzh.jpg

Best koa ever? Maybe I should toss that on the kiritsuke, the way koa moves it could embody the light in the darkness.

What makes you decide between doing a san mai damascus and a blade with damascus throughout ("monosteel", but not mono obviously)?

Holiday Treat #1
Damascus san mai gyuto with a 52100 core and a total of 750 layers for the jacket resulting in a very fine pattern. The handle is carbon fiber, nickel silver, and exhibition grade two-tone curly koa.

gTTAQRvh.jpg

Holy crap that's beautiful... can't wait to see what other treats hit your store!

The whole package is gorgeous to me but funny thing is my eye is drawn to how nice the plunge line is. LOL

What makes you decide between doing a san mai damascus and a blade with damascus throughout ("monosteel", but not mono obviously)?

Hmmm...Just mixing it up, no reason in particular.

Next week's treat will (probably) be a 52100 Western integral with a carbon fiber handle. I'm excited! :O

Obviously its a honyaki petty and he just forgot to mention that. Integral bolster honyaki petty <3 :knife: . Also you caused a fight between me and my girlfriend today lol. I showed her that gyuto the grey steel one and asked her if i could have it for christmas. She than said anyone who would pay that for a knife is stupid. I than pulled three out of my bag that cost more and asked her if she thought a mans hope, passion and dreams were stupid. She than got mad and left lol. I await an apology. It may be a while. :newhere:

Obviously its a honyaki petty and he just forgot to mention that. Integral bolster honyaki petty <3 :knife: . Also you caused a fight between me and my girlfriend today lol. I showed her that gyuto the grey steel one and asked her if i could have it for christmas. She than said anyone who would pay that for a knife is stupid. I than pulled three out of my bag that cost more and asked her if she thought a mans hope, passion and dreams were stupid. She than got mad and left lol. I await an apology. It may be a while. :newhere:

:rofl2:

Somewhere on the interwebs I saw some individual steak knives with sayas that had your mark on them, Haburn. :)

Part cat part bat?

Sorry to go off-topic a touch, but I couldn't help it:

16322070365_65c223b0ee.jpg

"Kitteh sez, I'm the g****** Catman!"

And good lord do I love my new wife for just not caring about my various toys, as long as they don't cause clutter. Of course, her new bicycle cost more than that knife. Oh wait, I mean her new bicycle pedals cost more than that knife.

Sorry to go off-topic a touch, but I couldn't help it:

16322070365_65c223b0ee.jpg

"Kitteh sez, I'm the g****** Catman!"

And good lord do I love my new wife for just not caring about my various toys, as long as they don't cause clutter. Of course, her new bicycle cost more than that knife. Oh wait, I mean her new bicycle pedals cost more than that knife.

Ha!
Just wait until she wants a nice power meter...

Ha!
Just wait until she wants a nice power meter...

Or a nice set of carbon wheels.&#129297;

Oh dear, I just realised that I'm now into cycling and knives. This is going to get expensive...&#129300;

Luckily the missus is a horse rider. She says that one should get their children in to horses so that they'll never have enough money for illicit substances.&#128521;

Back