Echizen Uchihamono at Kajitsu in Manhattan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklip13

Reaction score
For anyone who can make it to NYC:
From November 29 to December 1st, Echizen Uchihamono with be coming to the US with 8 of their blacksmiths for the first time ever. They will be showcasing their work and demonstrating knife making techniques as well as answering any questions from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm every day. The event will be held at Kajitsu in Manhattan at 125 East 39th street (39th and Lexington).
I'm looking forward to seeing them along with any KKF members who can attend

I'll post an update with a complete list of the blacksmiths who will be coming.

See you then
Jon

I'll be in the building the whole time but I'll be busy with lunch and dinner service. I'll do my best to be there as much as I can

Some of the blacksmiths will include: Kamo Shiro, Kurosaki Yu and Kato Hiroshi who make knives under eponymous brands as well as Nomura san- who makes the Takeshi Saji brand knives. There will definitely be more I'll post any new info as soon as it's confirmed

wow that is a huge show! I think this is one of the rare chances to see the echizen masters without spending the effort of going to takefu (and you are not likely to meet them all in takefu anyway!)

Something that you just can't afford to miss!

Jon, im absolutely in for at least one of these days.

Will there be a more detailed agenda? Do I have to sign up?

Will they sell knives? (Please say NO hahaha)

Any sharpening?

Cheers

They will be demonstrating sharpening, and some other knife making techniques-yes
As soon as I have more info confirmed I'll make sure to post it. You don't have to sign up, just come by any time you like.

They will be demonstrating sharpening, and some other knife making techniques-yes
As soon as I have more info confirmed I'll make sure to post it. You don't have to sign up, just come by any time you like.

Sounds fan-frickin-tastic!

Hope to see some of the forum folks there! Let me know when you plan on going ....

image.jpg

More blacksmiths confirmed! Kurosaki Makoto and Ikeda san

Wonderful, looks like it's going to be a busy week

So how does this work just go in get some to eat at watch the smiths?

This will be on the ground floor of the restaurant, anyone is welcome, there is no entrance fee. The seating area for Kajitsu and Kokage will be on the second floor only. You're welcome to come have lunch before or after but there will not be food served in the knife gallery (to protect the knives)

Only 1 week left before the event. It's free and should be really cool if they are going to do what they have been planning. Looks like lots of demonstrations will be happening

That's great to hear, what did you think of it?

That's great to hear, what did you think of it?

It was definitely good to go and I would have regretted not going. I think it was more tailored to less knowledgeable folks. When I arrived they were teaching a guy how to sharpen, and talked about how a handle is being burned in (but didn't actually do it, of course!)

I chatted a bit with a guy who seemed to be the manager of the group of some sorts (he spoke English), who explained a bit the idea behind this trip. It seemed a bit odd to me though, unless they bring in larger groups through other channels, I don't see how this event works for them. There were only two people there the whole time I was there (including me). Anyway, not trying to be critical or anything, I am just curious.

They realized rather quickly that I had a clue, and when I showed them the pics of my knife collection on my phone the guys were really curious. Chatted mostly with Yu Kurosaki (through translator, obviously, although a lot of times that wasn't really needed ... grind, profile, steels ... that can all be talked about knowing the terms and with hand gestures). He's an interesting guy, seems to be a bit more open about experimenting with new designs and materials ... some of the stuff he brought there was definitely a bit "out there" (sparkly ferrule, scratch pattern on some blades, and a weird looking handle material that the translator wasn't really able to translate properly, I think ... she said something like "dried forest material"). There were 4 makers there, the other I recognized was Shiro Kamo (I think!) and I talked a bit with the guy who made the new knives for this trip (the ones in all of the promotional material). I actually liked those a lot and probably would've purchases the petty one, but they were not for sale ... :(

They had a TV team from their hometown with them, so I guess I will be on Japanese TV ... as they asked me if they could film me talking to the makers, filmed me showing my knife pics and stuff ...

All in all a nice outing. Interesting venue, never been ... with the tea place in the front. Might have to return to eat. Walking there, I saw a highly rated Ramen place on Lexington (Momosan, I think). Do you know that? Any good ... I might come back this weekend LOL

I went yesterday as well. I probably missed you by an hour @alterwisser. I agree, it was hard to gauge who the target audience was for. As a home cook, I felt a bit out of place. It looked like some of the gyutos, santukos, and pettys were for sale in the $250-$400 range. I took some pictures, but I don't think I can post them.

I saw some interesting sushi knives, he said they were yanagiba, but they had a blunt tip like a takobiki, and a curve to the edge so it looked like a miniature sword. Is having a curve useful in slicing sashimi? Or is it more for looks?

I am familiar with Momosan, it's a new venture by Iron Chef Morimoto. I went once for their happy hour.

Last edited:
Stopped by today, was a bit more crowded than mentioned above, great setup, all the knives out to see and touch, some good variety. Got to meet Kamo, chat with him a bit (mostly through translator) and thank him for making one of my favorite newer knives. Also ran into Jon, talked to him for a few. All in all good time and nice setup, didn't pull the trigger on anything, though I kinda regret not picking up one of the pieces they made specific for event.

Latest posts

Back