Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Echizen Uchihamono at Kajitsu in Manhattan

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    Anyone went so far?

I should be there today at 3 pm ...

Let us know how it was!

Were you able to make it yesterday?
    A good knives wont make you better, only practice will, a good knife should make you practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jklip13 View Post
    Were you able to make it yesterday?
    Yeah, I was there from 3:15 to 3:45ish....

That's great to hear, what did you think of it?
    A good knives wont make you better, only practice will, a good knife should make you practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jklip13 View Post
    That's great to hear, what did you think of it?
    It was definitely good to go and I would have regretted not going. I think it was more tailored to less knowledgeable folks. When I arrived they were teaching a guy how to sharpen, and talked about how a handle is being burned in (but didn't actually do it, of course!)

I chatted a bit with a guy who seemed to be the manager of the group of some sorts (he spoke English), who explained a bit the idea behind this trip. It seemed a bit odd to me though, unless they bring in larger groups through other channels, I don't see how this event works for them. There were only two people there the whole time I was there (including me). Anyway, not trying to be critical or anything, I am just curious.

They realized rather quickly that I had a clue, and when I showed them the pics of my knife collection on my phone the guys were really curious. Chatted mostly with Yu Kurosaki (through translator, obviously, although a lot of times that wasn't really needed ... grind, profile, steels ... that can all be talked about knowing the terms and with hand gestures). He's an interesting guy, seems to be a bit more open about experimenting with new designs and materials ... some of the stuff he brought there was definitely a bit "out there" (sparkly ferrule, scratch pattern on some blades, and a weird looking handle material that the translator wasn't really able to translate properly, I think ... she said something like "dried forest material"). There were 4 makers there, the other I recognized was Shiro Kamo (I think!) and I talked a bit with the guy who made the new knives for this trip (the ones in all of the promotional material). I actually liked those a lot and probably would've purchases the petty one, but they were not for sale ...

They had a TV team from their hometown with them, so I guess I will be on Japanese TV ... as they asked me if they could film me talking to the makers, filmed me showing my knife pics and stuff ...

All in all a nice outing. Interesting venue, never been ... with the tea place in the front. Might have to return to eat. Walking there, I saw a highly rated Ramen place on Lexington (Momosan, I think). Do you know that? Any good ... I might come back this weekend LOL

I went yesterday as well. I probably missed you by an hour @alterwisser. I agree, it was hard to gauge who the target audience was for. As a home cook, I felt a bit out of place. It looked like some of the gyutos, santukos, and pettys were for sale in the $250-$400 range. I took some pictures, but I don't think I can post them.

I saw some interesting sushi knives, he said they were yanagiba, but they had a blunt tip like a takobiki, and a curve to the edge so it looked like a miniature sword. Is having a curve useful in slicing sashimi? Or is it more for looks?

I am familiar with Momosan, it's a new venture by Iron Chef Morimoto. I went once for their happy hour.
    Last edited by paranoid123; 12-02-2016 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo

Here are some pics from @paranoid123

I'm planning on going by tomorrow. Probably grab some lunch, too.

Stopped by today, was a bit more crowded than mentioned above, great setup, all the knives out to see and touch, some good variety. Got to meet Kamo, chat with him a bit (mostly through translator) and thank him for making one of my favorite newer knives. Also ran into Jon, talked to him for a few. All in all good time and nice setup, didn't pull the trigger on anything, though I kinda regret not picking up one of the pieces they made specific for event.