Quantcast
new shun fuji
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new shun fuji

new shun fuji

Anyone see the new Shun Fuji line available at Williams-Sonoma? Looks like the altered the shape of the gyuto for this line, sg2 core, textured cladding. $399.95 yikes!

At 400 bucks there are a lot of knives i would rather get.

well I must say... these shuns do look sexy... I might consider buying one if I could get a discount. I like the way it looks like it has been ripped or something. Plus the geometry looks promising. I like how they rounded the heel a bit.

Yup, I have to agree that there are a lot better knives out there for $400. Hell a Shig is only a little more. (If you can get one that is) that and I'm not a big fan of Shun but it does look nice.

Does look better than their other stuff, but dang that's a steep price tag! I can think of any number of knives that I'd rather spend $400 on!
    - Erik

I just watched their promo vid, and after going on about how the onion doesn't stick to the blade, he takes a slice and it sticks to the blade.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

it seems that Shun has developed a winner, but damn that's expensive. i like Shun knives just fine, but i can't imagine that this is worth it over the many other knives you can get for less (of my three main gyutos, two were less, including shipping from Japan!).

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    he takes a slice and it sticks to the blade.
    while not brilliant, i have to say i've seen worse in promo videos

The profile looks a LOT better than the original Shuns, which I couldn't stand. And I'd argue that the price makes sense. While I agree that you can find better at that price, SG2 blades are pretty damn expensive. That's about what they run for.

A blade with 161-layers and a core of SG2 is damn expensive. I don't think you can find knives with such material for $ 399 from any maker. The typical WS customer wants Damascus, and that's what Shun is giving them. Sure you can get better knives for this price, but for the material they use, the Shuns are quite aggressively priced.

The Fuji is definitely an improvement over some of their other lines. They do look very sexy online, but I was somewhat disappointed seeing them in real. If interested, go and have a look and see if you like them.

+ Reply to Thread