Japanese Knives New Blog Post- On Stones and Cutting Speed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
thanks for this write up. would you happen to be working one about what affects stone feedback?

i am not, but i'm happy to try something like that. Its not something i can say i've thought a lot about... usually the extent of my thought process involves which binding agents to use and what hardness level works best (when considering tactile feedback), but i havent thought about what the actual cause is behind it. I would have to take some time and look into it. It would also likely be best if i can ask about it when i meet with our stone companies next year (as in person talks often are much better than e-mail/phone conversations)

Great write-up. Thanks Jon.
Did I read it correctly that you are releasing a new line of stones?

Great write-up. Thanks Jon.
Did I read it correctly that you are releasing a new line of stones?

no... just talking about previous experience in developing various gesshin stones. I generally have at least one or two new things in the works, but i often only bring things into production if they really add to our lineup.

Oh I see. I must of read " our own series" as our new in "...making of custom stones for our own series.."

Fascinating write-up Jon, thanks!

... your diamond stones still kick sand on the faces of all the other synthetics (that I've tried) at the beach, though. Enough that, much as I'd like to try the well-regarded ones like your 2k and Maxim's synth Aoto, I just can't justify that compared to a natural or two. Your diamond ones are just incredibly fast and get the most insane edge in like three minutes.

Back