Quantcast
Crazy Dull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Dull

Crazy Dull

Have you ever sharpened a knife that would not get sharp? I just spent 15 minutes on my girlfriend's cheap-ass, chinese-made chef's knife. I went through a full stone progression etc. I noticed while deburing that it would make one slice into the cork and quit--dull as a butter knife. I added a 45 degree micro-bevel to the already obtuse edge and noticed the same behavior. I guess the bur was the only thing doing the cutting . The blade is rather thick, but still bends easily. It makes me wonder if the steel is even hardened. A few minutes wasted on a knife that won't cut paper. I wouldn't even use it as a cheese knife. I guess I have justification to buy her a new knife . "A knife like that is dangerous", that's what I'll tell her when she finds out I've spent more money.

I have a knife like that. Got it at the supermarket to use as a sacrificial knife to mess around with. I couldn't believe how hard it was to get a clean edge although the last time I saw it, I wasn't nearly as experience as I am now. Lesson learned. At least it only cost me like $5. I think it was a Hampton Forge knife, but don't quote me on it.

i have farberware knives that i can wear down to nothing, but cannot get sharp. they are great if you need some iron filings, though.

I've got a trio of paring knives from an unknown maker that fall into this category. I inherited them from my grandma after she passed away; I don't think they were ever sharpened or even steeled in their lifetimes. I had some spare time and tried to sharpen them 2 weeks ago, but only managed to get a *barely* passable edge out of one (which is luckily the one I like the best for sentimental reasons). I couldn't tell if my efforts did anything to the other two at all though.
    - Erik

Maybe the wire edge is hanging around and getting doubled over on the edge....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I have a 4.5" Kyocera ceramic knife received as "payment" for sharpening a relatives knives - because I was not able to get a sharp edge on this knife - still trying, occasionally
    How to sharpen this kind of knife?

I chassed it on the stones, micro beveled it, stroped it on felt and leather, cut cork after each stone... if the bur is still hanging on there, it certainly isn't worth any more effort to remove it. If I ever decided to "sharpen" This knife again, I'll finish it on a beston 500 and leave a giant wire edge hanging there. Then I might be able to slice paper. It truly makes you a appreciate the nice steels most our knives are made of.

Quote Originally Posted by geezr View Post
    I have a 4.5" Kyocera ceramic knife received as "payment" for sharpening a relatives knives - because I was not able to get a sharp edge on this knife - still trying, occasionally
    How to sharpen this kind of knife?
    diamond stones are the way to do it. you can get them reasonably sharp with a coarse and a fine DMT, stropping on diamond paste.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    diamond stones are the way to do it. you can get them reasonably sharp with a coarse and a fine DMT, stropping on diamond paste.
    will try the diamonds, then maybe return to previous owner

A lot of us are used to follow the same proceedings with every knife that comes into their hands. High grits are useless with soft steels. In fact you can't get them sharp, so let's make microsaws. Thin a much as you can, build a 12 degree bevel with a J400, and get your 800-1000 for very light stropping and deburring at 17 degree. The result will be what most people call 'sharp'.