First deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toufas

Reaction score
I am contemplating on getting a deba. Already have the Itinomonn mioroshi deba but I think I would use it more if it was shorter. Not looking for something expensive right now!
I saw that 190(i think) shimatani at metal master with the saya and I would consider it but not sure about build quality.

While I use mine totally off label (and haven't managed to break it that way) : I think the Tojiro White #2 doesn't totally suck, is inexpensive, and is certainly traditional in shape and choice of material.

And I think there is a Tanaka deba that comes at a very affordable price, too?

I'd say if you're going to be breaking down rockfish and small flatfish (e.g. Sole) 165 should do you fine. If you plan on tackling anything larger, 180 or 210 is the way to go.

Largest fish is a 1/1 gastro length and usually up to 3kg each. Majority is mackerel and smaller white fish. We did get a 11.8kg cod the other day that was gigantic, but that was the first time. I am still keeping my mioroshi so I can still use that when something large is here
Length wise I am happy with <19cm and price wise I'm looking for less than 250usd , but I'm living in the uk so that can go down along with the pound

Suisin Inox Wa-Deba or any Wa-de from Misono cheap and work well with small fish. I break down fish with that knife only 165mm good for small fish.

Zakuri from rakuten fits the price, then I could stretch to a watanabe?
Or I should save more and get something else?

It turns out that I'll be able to not pay tax if I get it from inside the eu. Makes the toyama much more affordable but it's oos. Any other eu based suggestions?

Ordered the toyama. Now do I need a smaller deba / ajikiri for the mackerel /red mullet I fillet?

Back