Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New stone!

New stone!

Look what you guys have started.. After reading all your posts, and suggestions.. I had to do it!!
    I just purchased my 1st Japanese water stone. I picked up a finishing stone? I think it would be classified as that?? I wanted a nice finish yet still a little toothy.. Oh yea, I grabbed a Suehiro Rika 5k

I have a feeling this is the first of many stones that I will be getting. Im a little O.C.D. about stuff, if you guys have not picked that up yet.. LMAO! So this could get spendy!!

Thanks again Dave for talking the time to talk me through the selections you offere. And explaining how the different stones cut and work.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

It was my pleasure to help Randy. I'm just hoping that you don't fall off that slippery slope.

well, that slippery slope could mean a few things.

keep sharpening. the rika is a great stone for beginners and experts alike. i still think that this is one of the best finishing stones available for lots of different metals. it gives that toothy feeling with a polish. for me, that makes the best edge.

hope you really enjoy that stone, and if it does its job, you will be in the market for something else real soon

another one bites the dusta...

I like it. It's a good stone for a three stones setup - Beser 500, Bestone 1200, Rica 5K

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

My newest addition arrived today! Its soaking as I type this. First up, the damascus 4 piece set I just finished for Son!

I will post some photos, B4 and after if everything goes well and I can get some good photos of the edge. Its sometimes tricky to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New stone! 001.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	1838  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Nice! The Rika is a great stone. I finish a lot of my knives on it. It has a good balance between toothy and refined.

Thanks so far Im really digging this stone, I just took the slicer to it and WOW.. yep this will defiantly bring my edges to another level of sharp!

Im already planning my next order. Im open to suggestions.. But I have already read almost every post about stones or sharpening I can find on the forum. That said. I get all the names confused and it becomes sort of a blur. Its like you guys are speaking Japanese or something half the time!! lol

Availible Knives

i really like the kitayama as a finishing stone. it's different from most, though, and takes some practice.

I don't really notice anything advantageous about a Kitayama vs other 8k stones. The edges aren't as keen nor as polished as SS and more polished but not as toothy as the Gesshin. The only thing I don't like about it is reactive steels rust need to get polished quickly so you don't get visible rust spots.