Quantcast
Re: Sabatier and TBT - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: Sabatier and TBT

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Hahahahaha.
    You could likely just sum it up with, "Meh. It's a French thing. They always have fancy shmancy stuff". (note* no offense was intended by the previous comment!)
    You know what they say about European knives: they can withstand a lot more abuse!

But seriously though, I would love to see what would happen if that glass board took a hit from a Kau Kong heavy-duty bone chopper. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Wow. I really want those! I have such a weakness for Sabs.
    Get 'em while stocks last. I don't where we could get them once TBT runs out. I waited and now there are no more 9" Nogs and 10" Canadians.

Uh oh! To be honest, my wife searched for a 9" Nogent for me, while in France this past summer, with no luck. I think they are pretty hard to find now.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

But it worked out nicely for me - I had to get the 10" Nogent instead and I am really happy with it. It also handed me an excuse (as if I needed one lol) to grab the 8" Canadian as well and this thing is a little laser, I love it!

It's also the reason I ordered the 10" Acier Fondu from K-Sab and I am really glad I did. I freaking love this thing! Super thin, agile blade matched with a huuuuuge, uber-comfy, chunky and beautiful wooden handle.

If you decide to order from TBT though I would start an email convo about the level of Fit and Finish you will (or won't) put up with and what your exact deal breakers are, and hopefully that will help. Get a written, personal assurance or warranty that they ain't gonna ship no bent, twisted, wonky-handled knives cuz it's happened so many times now.

is there a diff in blade thickness between the chef-de-chef vs. the chef knives in the canadian collection?

The chef-de-chef is much thicker. I haven't bought one, but a friend of mine who was ignorant of the difference had to return it. A chef-de-chef is a "lobster cracker", it's not a "chef's knife" for normal use.

OP,

My not-so-educated guess is that you may have better luck with the Nogent 10" slicer than with one from the Canadian Massif series. My thinking is that because the Canadians are thinner along the spine than the Nogents, they are more likely to have bent and/or twisted tips.

Of course, I am probably completely, utterly mistaken in this.

i bought a 10" chef and a 10" slicer from the Nogent line. i've always wanted to own (i've handled them before, and like them) some good carbon Sabs, so i figure i might as well, before they run out completely.

I bought a 9" Nogent chef knife about a year ago. I waited a month or so before I opened it and when I did I found it had an ever so slight bend in the last two inches. I sent it out to Epicurean to have it straightened. Came back fine. LOVE this knife.

-AJ

i got my knives in today. they were both "specials," the 10 inch slicer being $30 off, and the 10" inch chef's being $15 off, due to a slightly chipped tip and a cracked handle, respectively. the chip in the slicer literally took 10 seconds to fix on my coarse/fine DMT, and i'm not convinced the crack on the chef's knife handle is actually a crack, but i gave it a daub of tite bond III, anyway. i've only ever seen these knives well used, and the fit and finish is quite a surprise. smoothed and polished. the handle on the slicer is slightly bent up, but i'll drag my vise up from the basement and fix that in a second. the spines are straight, and the grinds all look even. i look forward to sharpening and using them!