Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Re: Sabatier and TBT

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    It's also the reason I ordered the 10" Acier Fondu from K-Sab and I am really glad I did. I freaking love this thing! Super thin, agile blade matched with a huuuuuge, uber-comfy, chunky and beautiful wooden handle.
    I got one and agree. Further, the blade is dead straight with beautifully ground distal taper.

Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    I got one and agree. Further, the blade is dead straight with beautifully ground distal taper.
    Those French sure know a thing or two about knife design!

The other great thing about these French carbons is that none of them is as reactive as most of my Japanese carbons. There is a slight 'ozone' smell - but no uber-funky, 'train wreck', 'burning rubber' smell and brown/black/green juice like you often get with SK carbon steel.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i got my knives in today. they were both "specials," the 10 inch slicer being $30 off, and the 10" inch chef's being $15 off, due to a slightly chipped tip and a cracked handle, respectively. the chip in the slicer literally took 10 seconds to fix on my coarse/fine DMT, and i'm not convinced the crack on the chef's knife handle is actually a crack, but i gave it a daub of tite bond III, anyway. i've only ever seen these knives well used, and the fit and finish is quite a surprise. smoothed and polished. the handle on the slicer is slightly bent up, but i'll drag my vise up from the basement and fix that in a second. the spines are straight, and the grinds all look even. i look forward to sharpening and using them!
    Well done, great score!!

I have been using my Sabs exclusively for the past week now, and having a ball!

I've also been experimenting with final stones - Green Brick and King G-1 #8K. Both work nicely. These knives also love the HA Knife Mate (which is basically a pocket-sized polished steel with two finishes), the Idahone and the boro rod.

BTW, did you say that the slicer's handle is 'bent up' like on the vertical axis? I noticed that too in TBT's pop-up pic - is that maybe an intentional part of the design - to keep your fingers up off the board?

yes, it's bent up. hmm, maybe i'll use it as is for a while, before doing anything with it, as you may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    yes, it's bent up. hmm, maybe i'll use it as is for a while, before doing anything with it, as you may be right.
    Now that you've mentioned it, I've also noticed that some of the real vintage Sabatier chef knives that I've seen on ebay from time to time have handles that are 'bent down' (a bit like Kramers and Lamsons, but less exaggerated) - this might be because it's better for rocking? And the slicers are 'bent up' for the reasons suggested above.

So it might not just be dubious QC.

But then there are Sabs that are bent sideways (like my Nogent 10" which has a slight bias at the handle to the left) - I may need a little more extra time to dream up a justification for this one! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Well done, great score!!

I have been using my Sabs exclusively for the past week now, and having a ball!

I've also been experimenting with final stones - Green Brick and King G-1 #8K. Both work nicely. These knives also love the HA Knife Mate (which is basically a pocket-sized polished steel with two finishes), the Idahone and the boro rod.

BTW, did you say that the slicer's handle is 'bent up' like on the vertical axis? I noticed that too in TBT's pop-up pic - is that maybe an intentional part of the design - to keep your fingers up off the board?
    The nogent style has a tendency to bend up or down because of the rattail tang which is usually narrow and round is not as strong as a rectangular full tang

i did end up straightening the handle. i don't think the small bend on such a narrow knife would actually make much of a knuckle clearance difference, and i won't use this knife as any kind of all-rounder. anyway, i put an initial edge on both. the chef has a mis-grind for about an inch by the heel on one side, but otherwise both are ground fine. it's an under grind above the edge, and i won't be putting steep angles on these, so i'll let nature take its course. i went through the full progression to .25 diamond, and they are as sharp as anything else i have. very comfortable cutting up some veggies. looking forward to seeing how they hold up.

I know I've said this before, but, man do I love Sabs!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I know I've said this before, but, man do I love Sabs!
    That's because they are so lovable!

i broke all of the sharp edges on the chef's, refinished the blade (two grades of finger stones, followed by my rust eraser which pretty exactly reproduced the original finish), gave it a nice forced mustard patina, and chopped some produce today. it's a good knife!