Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Matus Knives - finished projects

Quote Originally Posted by Bill13 View Post
    Matus,

Don't know how easy they are to get in Europe but SORAA makes the best LED light bulbs. https://www.soraa.com/
    Thanks, there seem to be some available around here, but man, those are some really expensive bulbs. On the other hand, they will probably last for a very long time.

I have managed the blog entry on the Project #15 - custom handle for a Kato 80 mm petty.

Beautiful handle and much better suited for the knife IMHO. The blog post was very informative. Thanks!

And here is another one - Project #16 - making a WA-style handle for a Watanabe mukimono.

Nice work and excellent write up!

I'm pretty sure all epoxies are liable to fail due to heat build up. Some may be a bit better than others, but I bet the trick is managing the heat buildup when working metal.

thank you for share

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    And here is another one - Project #16 - making a WA-style handle for a Watanabe mukimono.

I love how you leave your mistakes/mishaps in your blog. I can attest to learning the same hard knock lessons too.

The handle came out wonderful on this one, thanks for sharing!

Thank you Dave. Describing the mistakes is half of the point of my blog. It will not necessarily prevent others from making the same mistakes, but show them that it is OK to make them

Matus what do you think about the belt grinder you are currently using, in terms of grinding power, speed and every other aspect of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkor View Post
    Matus what do you think about the belt grinder you are currently using, in terms of grinding power, speed and every other aspect of it?
    Let me give it a try. First of all - the grinder could indeed use bit more power - 1/2 hp instead of 1/3 would be nice, but it still allows for reasonable material removal. The point is to use high quality belts - I have bet experience with Norton Blaze 60 and 120 and 3M Trizact (normal and 'gator'). The speed is medium - fast enough given the power - can also be used very well to grind handle blocks to shape what is a great plus and saves a lot of time. With handle materials you can not push too hard as otherwise they will burn, so the speed or power is not really an issue there.

Also - when shaping blanks after you have cut them with a hack saw or with a angle grinder (I made eight 180mm petty blanks with angle grinder) the speed with a sharp belt is incomparable to what it would take with a coarse file.

The particular model I have had problems with running stiffer belts - they would roll-off the wheels because the only degree of freedom you have is the angle of the back small wheel and the range was not enough. I used a brute-force approach and bent the whole frame a little. It works not, but the belts are running a few mm off the platen. This could of course be fixed by making a proper platen for the grinder, but I did not bother as I am not grinding plunge lines and I have a 2x72" on order.

I may have spend just 80€ on the grinder, but I have spent about 200€ on the belts (though I still have a decent stash of them). That is something to keep in mind.

I have ground a few of the 180mm O1 petty blanks, one 180 Niolox gyuto and currently working on three 210 mm gyuto knives - and the grinder keeps working. I would wish for a more speed there as the gyutos are made from 3.0 and 3.5 mm thick stock, so a lot of material needs to be removed. With the 180 mm gyuto which is from 2.2 mm stock it was OK.

In total I would say - if you do invest in a good quality belts than a grinder like this is a very good starting machine to learn grinding and to make some knives and see how you like it before you would get a more powerful and more flexible grinder. The price is worth it. And even should you later get a big 2x72" the narrow 1" belt is practical when shaping handles (with or without platen).

What I dislike about mine is that the work rests are both made from aluminium - I had to put a glossy tape on them otherwise they stain & scratch handle material. But most 1x30" I have seen online seemed to have steel work rests.