Best French brands?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm at it again! Thanks for the input on Swedish brands. Next comes French. Sabatier (a small portion of it's derivatives) is apparent. Looking for larger brands to custom smiths, and in-between. Anything that doesn't fall prey to the soft Western steel?

Thanks

thank you ;-)

in france , we have :
http://www.couteau.com/couteau-de-cuisine.html , the guy is an ass***** but... he make knives (but it's not custom !! )
Opinel make small kitchen tools too.

few cutom knife maker too, but i am the best .. ahhahahahah ( evil laugh ! ) (sorry )

Why is he an ... urasuki?

BTW, for anyone non-french, which of all the current and past sabatier brands are good and which are meh is indeed confusing.

More or less big company
* Opinel. You must own a foldable Opinel au carbone. The number 8 (8cm blade) it is legendary: less than 10 euros, simple but excellent design, more than decent blade. They also make very decent kitchen knife at affordable price. Most on this forum would not even look at them, but they are very decent for basic staff. Altogether it is a very good company, everything is made in France at affordable price. They also have a pretty decent ethic and I read that they treat their employee very well.
* K-sabatier (for me the best from Thiers / sabatier style)
* Deglon Sabatier (Deglon is making not only knife but also everything connected to pro-kitchen)

small/customs:
* Bryan Raquin (@cassca here) - He already wrote that he is the best :). I am currently testing one of his knife: definitively excellent. I was already waiting for a knife from him. Now I want two (or three?). Impressive work.
* Perceval. I never tested but heard it was very good. But you have to get a mortage to afford his knives.
* Forge de caractère: never tired, but I heard good thing

french knife maker :
Milan Gravier
David Lespect
Daniel Marlot
Torpen
Arthur Lapostat
Michel Grini
Kraspek
Julien Maria
Anthony Brochier
R. Beillonnet
Tom Jacques
Dag Horn
Frédéric Collin
Martin Claudel
Vinh Le Cao
Ali’s blade

If this turns into a thread hijack, I can start a new one, but since we're talking French, I wanted to see if anyone had information on the lagiuiole style knives. I've read the wikipedia on it, just wondering if they can stand up there with some of the more modern EDC pocketknives or if the steak knives are worth buying. Are there certain makers that turn out better quality blades?

I see them sold for next to nothing in some of the discount stores here in the states (TJ Maxx, Marshalls), but then Epic Edge has had them as well for quite a bit more $$.

If this turns into a thread hijack, I can start a new one, but since we're talking French, I wanted to see if anyone had information on the lagiuiole style knives. I've read the wikipedia on it, just wondering if they can stand up there with some of the more modern EDC pocketknives or if the steak knives are worth buying. Are there certain makers that turn out better quality blades?

I see them sold for next to nothing in some of the discount stores here in the states (TJ Maxx, Marshalls), but then Epic Edge has had them as well for quite a bit more $$.

The ones that you see for $19 or so (also on Amazon) are Chinese made.

The real one set you back more, at least $80 I think for the simpler versions. You can also buy them direct from the manufacturer (online).

I had a nice one, liked it a lot. Movers stole it couple of years ago...

if you buy a "sabatier" it's made in Thiers. it's like "l'économe" and .... ....

Thiers Issard and K Sabatier are often mentioned... strangely, no one has much to say on Lion, are they just less appreciated or less good?

And why are these damn green stamina Elephants (don't judge me - I want one. bad. Usually not even my taste :) and vintage Jeune Garanti more available in the US than when you are living day trip distance from France?

I know the Lion only for very, very soft stainless from the seventies. Almost impossible to sharpen. And they sold their name for poor stuff from China.

OK, so I get that 'Sabatier' is more of style of knife. The next question is, which brands that fall under the Sabatier style are reputable? So far we have K Sabatier, and Thiers-Issard. Any others? Thanks.

OK, so I get that 'Sabatier' is more of style of knife. The next question is, which brands that fall under the Sabatier style are reputable? So far we have K Sabatier, and Thiers-Issard. Any others? Thanks.

K-Sab is also from Thiers...I personally like the 4star Elephants but the K-Sab is about the same with different handle (the reason I prefer the 4star)...steel on any of these will be considerably softer than any J-blade. Also important is to avoid the stainless knives at all costs...carbon only as soft carbon is much more friendly in all ways than soft stainless.

Not a brand, but nogent style sabs have very good rep as well. I have a k-Sab with the tapered handle that is very pleasant to use, the profile is very versatile and it sharpens very nice, I imagine the nogent should feel nimbler and very agile.

Back