First j-knife as a gift..

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks,

So I'm buying a knife, a 210 gyuto, as a gift for my girlfriends father. He loves to cook and is by all accounts a marvellous chef. We have a very good relationship, and have actually bonded a lot over my knives, as he studied metallurgy when younger, and loves the craftsmanship on display. He can definitely care for a blade, and I am also buying him a stone (prob a king 1000/6000) and will teach him to sharpen.

I would prefer a carbon core, as I think he likes the purity of the white and blue steels I was describing to him, and the added care this would bring (I suspect he may even enjoy a reactive cladding). Not a laser, and nothing too hefty, as this is his first Japanese knife. Normally f&f I'm not fussed about, but in this situation I think a nicely finished knife would be appropriate.
A fairly big consideration is I'm in the UK, and have a budget of around £200 ($250). This rules out a lot of purchases from Japan and the US, as I would need to cost for 20% customs on such purchases too.

Having assessed offerings from cleancut, jns, thechoppingblock (a UK site), i'm actually leaning towards a 210mm gyuto from Watanabe, as it's just over budget, but fits most of the criteria (he declares low value for customs, and the only 210 I've seen wasn't nearly as chunky as I'd been led to believe).

Thoughts and recommendations?

Tanaka b#2 stainless cladding from james. watanabe is a good choice but more money.

Hello folks,

So I'm buying a knife, a 210 gyuto, as a gift for my girlfriends father. He loves to cook and is by all accounts a marvellous chef. We have a very good relationship, and have actually bonded a lot over my knives, as he studied metallurgy when younger, and loves the craftsmanship on display. He can definitely care for a blade, and I am also buying him a stone (prob a king 1000/6000) and will teach him to sharpen.

I would prefer a carbon core, as I think he likes the purity of the white and blue steels I was describing to him, and the added care this would bring (I suspect he may even enjoy a reactive cladding). Not a laser, and nothing too hefty, as this is his first Japanese knife. Normally f&f I'm not fussed about, but in this situation I think a nicely finished knife would be appropriate.
A fairly big consideration is I'm in the UK, and have a budget of around £200 ($250). This rules out a lot of purchases from Japan and the US, as I would need to cost for 20% customs on such purchases too.

Having assessed offerings from cleancut, jns, thechoppingblock (a UK site), i'm actually leaning towards a 210mm gyuto from Watanabe, as it's just over budget, but fits most of the criteria (he declares low value for customs, and the only 210 I've seen wasn't nearly as chunky as I'd been led to believe).

Thoughts and recommendations?

Love Watanabes blades. But most of his knives have an ugly plastic ferrule. Not something I'd give away as a present.

Upgrade to a horn ferrule probably puts you well over budget!

You should find plenty of great options at cleancut though. Shiro Kamo Black Dragon, for example. Or the Kurosaki AS, nice Allrounder ....

As you are in the UK, I'd suggest you visit cuttingdedgeknives uk and see their repertoire (I have no affilitation, other than a satisfied customer). Of course you can get something from outside, but you are loosing with the pound so low. Plus tax if the Queens gestapo catches it inbound.

I got a Masakage Yuki and really like it. It's a White 2, and if anything, the handle is a bit mundane. Cut's like a breeze.

If the budget allows, you have the Koishi in Super Blue (if memory serves me right) with much more character. The handle is much nicer.

Both are stainless clad which, in my book is a plus. Reactivity is minimal only at the exposed core, rather than having an aggressive, reactive cladding.

Then you have some Kurosaki's there that are stunners. He's one of the Masakage blacksmiths, so they have a lot of similarities.

I'm sure some other people can give you different advice.

All the best

If your willing to go little over budget, the Watanabe can't go wrong for sure.

IF you want to save a little go with the Shiro Kamo B2 KU or Damascus from Cleancut. They are very affordable, but don't let that fool you. They punch waay above their price range. I have the KU 220 and it's great as a little over sized 210. It's tall and very sturdy. Gets really sharp and edge retention is among the best. F&F is absolutely flawless the profiles and grinds are as good as it gets. I haven't ever heard a bad thing said about his stuff.

I have two of his knives already and number 3 and 4 are on their way. That's how much i enjoy them.

Then there's also the Toyama Kasumi 210 (very similar to Watanabe), but a little over budget and the Munetoshi KU Which is very affordable in 210 size, both from JNS.

Hadnt considered k&s as is stateside, but at that value the tanaka is an option. Watanabe handles are def something to consider, as an upgrade would be difficult on the budget.
The shiro kamos from cleancut I've been considering quite strongly, however aren't they pretty laser thin? Am wary of getting something too thin and delicate?

The Toyama can be very reactive (mine is), not sure you want to go that route.

Some Kamos are very thin, yes. Maybe go with Kurosaki then?

K&S is in 🇦🇺 [emoji6]

Hadnt considered k&s as is stateside, but at that value the tanaka is an option. Watanabe handles are def something to consider, as an upgrade would be difficult on the budget.
The shiro kamos from cleancut I've been considering quite strongly, however aren't they pretty laser thin? Am wary of getting something too thin and delicate?

+1 for the Tanakas, of course, easy rec. The damascus version is super reactive, but the ss clad (completaly new line BTW) fixed that problem.

The Shiro Kamo KU and Damascus are strong middleweight knives, not lasers at all. (Only the Migaki line is a paper thin laser and a very lovely one at that). The Ku and damascus differ in grind as the KU is a wide bevel style and the damascus is convex. Profile is very similar. They are super nice blades. When I got them I couldn't believe how well they were made over all (especially for the price). Just superb knives IMO.

The Shiro Kamo B2 KU and B2 Damascus gyutos both way about 185g in 240 size and at the middle of the blade length they are about 1.8mm thick. That's Middleweight category all the way IMO.

Just to compare the Shiro Kamo Migaki B2 240 gyuto weigh about 149g and is only 1.1mm thick at the middle of the blade length. THAT's a laser if there ever was! :laugh:

What about StainLess Itinomonn? I have yet to hear a word of complain about its performance and F&F is great too. Maxim has (not sure whether available) also stainless-clad carbon (V2) Itinomonn.

+1 for the Itinomonn StainLess Kasumi too. :lol2:

Maxim just got them back in stock. The StainLESS is semi SS and much more carbon like than SS. Flawless F&F, superb cutter and very good edge retention. Very good performer over all. Another stellar middleweight contender and just about in budget. Maxim has free shipping.

Back