Quantcast
Custom Damascus Chef knife set. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Damascus Chef knife set.

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Hmm, There there on my screen?? I cant edit the post, so Ill try again, Thanks for the heads up.
    I love them Randy! nice and clean looking, I see you decided not to go with the filework, they look just as awesome without. happy jig goin on!
    thanks, son

Thanks much guys, I have had one heck of a week, and its only Tuesday!! LOL Its very nice to hear that your work is appreciated and liked. Thank you again. I needed the boost!

Custom Fan, you could hang them from the lanyard and that may be what he intends to do with em? Hes a member here, Maybe he will comment..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    actually those lanyard holes are so I don't drop them, had heart surgery awhile back and they cut some nerves in my wrists when they took some arteries out to put in my ticker. sometimes I loose feeling. I definitely don't want to drop these.lol too purdy!
    That is amazing. I showed my wife and she asked why they had thong tubes...I figured they were just a decorative carryover. Now that I know they do something, I am seriously over the moon with these things.

The bolster is cool as heck. If you can get video of you using these things, I'd love to see it.

*edit* about the filework...while it's pretty, I wouldn't want to have filework on a knife that sees use with food. I cleaned a chicken just a few hours ago for dinner, and wouldn't want to have to worry or deal with chicken in decorative cracks like that.

Son, I just gota tell ya, No matter how nice they look in the photos, There just Sooo much nicer in hand! The Ironwood and copper combination is spectacular!
    Im glad your please with them.

Thanks for posting about the lanyard holes. That was helpful.

Thanks for letting me have fun with these. Its been a pleasure working with you on them.
    God Bless
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    That is amazing. I showed my wife and she asked why they had thong tubes...I figured they were just a decorative carryover. Now that I know they do something, I am seriously over the moon with these things.

The bolster is cool as heck. If you can get video of you using these things, I'd love to see it.

*edit* about the filework...while it's pretty, I wouldn't want to have filework on a knife that sees use with food. I cleaned a chicken just a few hours ago for dinner, and wouldn't want to have to worry or deal with chicken in decorative cracks like that.
    I need to get a video camera, I have an old phone that just sucks. I actually Waffled over the filework myself at the beginning for the same reasons you quoted. Then i KEPT LOOKING AT RANDY'S WORK AND IT PULLED ME IN. Finally I told Randy yes i did want file work, but to use his judgement and I gave him creative freedom to do what he felt needed to be done and this is what came from it. wow! I'm totally happy and can't wait to get them in my fat little hands.lol

I know exactly what you mean Sachem... Congratulations!!

Please let us know how it goes with those beauties!

Thanks John, I cant wait to see this set patina myself, I have a feeling there gona look even better!!!

Im happy to hear you remember seeing some of my knives over there, and that you like our work. I will always strive for just that, To make a very beautiful, yet functional and serviceable tool! This has been a process.. Im still learning and really just starting to develop my style, and the skills.. to make a better kitchen knife!

Its because of this forum and guys like yourself, that I have been able to really key in on what makes a better cutter and why.
    So A BIG thank you to all who participate in this forum. I look forward to the challenges and continuing to learn and grow as a maker..

Availible Knives

Looks like a really nice set, i wondered about the lanyard tubes too, but with the explanation show the value of custom work in being able to add personal functional design.
    +1 on the lack of file work as well, on a carbon kitchen can see it being a crud magnet, but it's definitely personal preference

Any details on the steel used and out of interest how much time goes into a billet?

Cheers,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Customfan View Post
    I know exactly what you mean Sachem... Congratulations!!

Please let us know how it goes with those beauties!
    by the way I really love yours!

TB, You nailed it, Being able to have a knife or in this case a set of knives to meet your personal needs and preferences is awesome. I love designing and working with my customers to get every aspect of a design narrowed down. There is just something special about it for me and as a result, its often reflected in the finished knife!

The steel on this set was forged by my son Randy Jr. Hes 20 years old and started working with me and making damascus about 1 1/2 years ago. He has been doing some CRAZY cool stuff with steel and learning and evolving rapidly! I have a post in my forum with other examples of the patterns he has made. Im very proud and blessed to be able to share this passion with my son.

For our carbon damascus we uses a combination of 1095 and 15n20 to forge the billets. This combination with proper Heat Treat have proven to make a very serviceable and reliable kitchen knife!

As far as the time to make a billet of Reverb.. Thats subject to many variables. But on these, It took him about a full week of busting butt to make the two billets that I used to make this set.. One billet for the Chef and the second gave me the other 3 knives.. one was super wide and the other was narrower and about twice as long.

Thanks for the comment and looking at our work, I welcome the opportunity to work with you on a custom knife!

Availible Knives