Quantcast
Health and Fitness - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Health and Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Back problems + pilates...equals good!
    This. Or at least the type of pilates that I'm familiar with, which is more like physical therapy. Lower back pain (in the muscles) from what I've learned from classes/physical therapists at school is almost always related to overstretched and weak lower back muscles. If you always tend to sit with your butt tucked under (imagine your lumbar area making a C curve with the opening of the C being towards your front), then your lower back muscles are probably getting pretty stretched out in a bad way. Placing a cushion under your butt when you sit so that it forces your lower back to arch a little can help somewhat. My results (and those of others) were what eventually convinced me that the style of pilates I was doing really worked.

I do yoga to improve my quality of sleep and my ability to stand/walk on concrete floors all day with a jacked up toe.

It REALLY affects my quality of sleep. Like crazy noticeable.

Cycling, although now It's mostly for fun.
    Couple years ago I actually trained and raced in socal.
    Was doing anywhere between 250 to 350 miles per week.
    Cycling is great low impact exercise and fun, especially group rides.

Cardio,weight training and anything to help strengthen my core(planks,crunches,back extensions).A strong core is crucial in our line of work to help prevent lower back pain.

I think I should take up pilates soon... Any particular style or type that you guys would recommend?

P90X

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    P90X
    For real?! First of all, that stuff is BRUTAL, and secondly, how in the do you have an hour everyday?

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    For real?! First of all, that stuff is BRUTAL, and secondly, how in the do you have an hour everyday?
    Hehe, I don't, thats why I only complete 1/2 of each session. Gets very tricky in hotel rooms too. I have even gone as far as getting those stupid water dumbells (they suck!).

I can usually be found in the walkin curling 2-5# buckets of pickles.

I was never overweight, but two years ago I started feeling a general decline in my condition, and basically feeling like I was getting older. I was getting sick all the time. I was tired at work earlier in the night than I ever had been, and it didn't matter how much rest I got on my days off, I just never felt like I did five years ago. My fiancee was unhappy because she was gaining weight, mostly because we were drinking after work and going out to eat good food every chance we got to be away from the restaurant. I bit the bullet and hired a personal trainer for both of us, and we committed to three months. I absolutely couldn't afford it, but I did it anyways. It completely changed my life. Two years later I look different, I feel different, I am able to work much harder, and I my stress levels have gone way down. I haven't missed any of my three days a week in the gym this year. For me personally, although I am a very disciplined person, I just can't keep myself working out hard regularly for more than six months. I did cardio on and off for years, but it never made me feel like resistance training has made me feel. I've been able to do things like p90x, but we all know how working in a restaurant can be, and for me having a coach made everything so easy. Now I mix in group classes, boot camps, and yoga, so now if I only visit the trainer once a week I can keep my goals and still not break the bank. Three hours a week made me a new man, but because I've been consistent. For the first time in my life I've been able to stick with it, and for me the costs of getting help have been worth it.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    I think I should take up pilates soon... Any particular style or type that you guys would recommend?
    I like the classes on the reformer(the machine).