Quantcast
Long time looking first time posting
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long time looking first time posting

Long time looking first time posting

Hello

My name is Jeff Berger and I just wanted to say hi.

I've been looking at this site on and off for about a year now - ever since last years Ashokan Knife Seminar. Dave Martell attended and talked about what makes a good kitchen knife and it really got me interested in making something good, so I've been following along on this forum and have really learned a lot about what a good kitchen knife looks and feels like.

I've been making blades on and off for about 10 years now, but I have not had a proper shop until recently so I hope to be making some knives and getting some feedback (hopefully) on them soon.

I'm a theoretical high energy particle physicist by day, I work on calculations pertaining to the collisions in atom smashers (such as the new massive machine called the Large Hadron Collider, or LHC in Europe). I've been studying under a professor at Penn State (best way to think of a grad program is an apprenticeship program, I'm an apprentice physicist!). I have a year left until I get my PhD in it and then I'm not quite sure what I am gonna do - but something interesting should come along!

Well that's all about me - hope to be getting to know some of you

-Jeff

Also a quick practical question

I can't figure out how to PM, is there a restriction on new members to PM or can I just not find the button?

Thanks again

-Jeff

AFAIK the restriction was something like two posts. Does it work now?

What's with all the smart people being into knives?

Rottman : Thanks it does now!

Salty : Knives are so cooolll. Thanks for the smart title but I do plenty of dumb things too so I dunno how deserving I am, fancy job title tho yea?

Welcome welcome! Just remember not to send knives flying around at high speed
    Len

Welcome Jeff! Can't wait to see what kind of innovative steel treatments you are able to come up with in a particle accelerator!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    What's with all the smart people being into knives?
    Seems like knives cut across not just all segments of society but all levels of brain power as well. Everybody has to eat

Plus all guys like to have some stuff the women won't want to take/ mess with; knives are just a less expensive hobby then cars and motorcycles

Welcome Jeff.

Try to keep your Quarks contained.

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Welcome Jeff! I am sensing some new possiblities to test "sharpness"..atom splitting sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Welcome Jeff! I am sensing some new possiblities to test "sharpness"..atom splitting sharp.
    If that happens, I don't think we'll get confirmation of it from Jeff. He'll be .

Welcome Jeff!
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"