D. Martell 2nd run coming up!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to have another sheet of (O1) steel cut up and if at all possible I'd like to accurately project what the need will be beforehand. If you're considering purchasing one of my knives you can pre-order them HERE. Being a small fry maker I'm limited in what I can purchase, pre-ordering is extremely helpful (and greatly appreciated) to projecting my future needs.

Thanks for your consideration & support!

Dave :)

Heya, what's the timeframe on these? Not expecting exact- just would be good to have a rough idea

Cheers,
Tom

Ready for heat treat.... :)

P1010002.JPG

That's a pretty sight!

Are you going to rough in the bevels at all before HT?

Are there no wa handles this run? :newhere:

Good question, I even meant to address that and forgot so thanks. :)

Yup there will be. If I need a wa I'll simply modify a western. I decided to go this route instead of having extra wa versions sitting around not getting used. This also allows me to make a different style tang to handle union than I had previously designed on the 1st run. I'll be using a notched tang instead of a straight stick type.

Good question, I even meant to address that and forgot so thanks. :)

Yup there will be. If I need a wa I'll simply modify a western. I decided to go this route instead of having extra wa versions sitting around not getting used. This also allows me to make a different style tang to handle union than I had previously designed on the 1st run. I'll be using a notched tang instead of a straight stick type.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

thats the only way tto do blanking (over sized to the pointthat you had shap options )

is one of those mine?

Nope, your's is already on the bench and will get started once we figure out the handle configuration.

Edit> wrong Josh :)
We're waiting on a handle from Stefan for you. It's in the works with him at the moment.

Last edited:
Nope, your's is already on the bench and will get started once we figure out the handle configuration.

Edit> wrong Josh :)
We're waiting on a handle from Stefan for you. It's in the works with him at the moment.

I'm assuming your talking about mine and my PITA handle :) which will also be :ubersexy:

its not the first time you've confused us! :pirate1:

That is pretty exciting Dave...Are you going to be making the wa handles, or is Stefan? Really like these.

That is pretty exciting Dave...Are you going to be making the wa handles, or is Stefan? Really like these.

Stefan will make some on different levels and I may even try one or two myself one day and I also hope to have other options available too. Lots of fun stuff coming. :)

If you snap through any of those and get back to like a 210, let me know :)

Just curious, what steel thickness are you starting with, and what RC hardensss are you shooting for with the O-1? In your experience is O-1 one of the better steels compared to say 52100 or W-2?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Just curious, what steel thickness are you starting with, and what RC hardensss are you shooting for with the O-1? In your experience is O-1 one of the better steels compared to say 52100 or W-2?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

They're 3/32" stock & they're hardened to Rc60-61 with cryo. I can't say that I have a preference for one steel over another but I look towards edge retention & sharpen-ability as the two main bits of criteria that need to be well taken care of. I'd like grind-ability to be part of the equation as well but hardened O-1 doesn't meet that by any sense of the description, it's some tough ass stuff for sure.

Back