Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Moment Has Come - First Batch WIP Coming Up

Come on guys. Now that I got over my last road block (finish), the road ahead is clear and I am going to pick up a speed. Next are 180mm, and 255 and 240 gyutos. 240mm will feature a modified D handle, similar to Bob Kramer's meiji. Still debating what wood to use but leaning toward premium grade ironwood, metal spacer and blond horn ferrule. Good stuff.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

All joking aside, the ironwood on the 180mm is stunning.

Why the blond rather than the black? I think the reason I like your handles so much is that they tend to be gorgeous, but slightly understated. I'm curious if the blond would draw the attention more towards the handle and from away the blade or the knife as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    All joking aside, the ironwood on the 180mm is stunning.

Why the blond rather than the black? I think the reason I like your handles so much is that they tend to be gorgeous, but slightly understated. I'm curious if the blond would draw the attention more towards the handle and from away the blade or the knife as a whole.
    I find a combination of blond horn with golden burl ironwood practically irresistible, but black horn would work just as well. For a classic look, I prefer ebony, black horn, and metal spacer. I am still very found of it, but I do branch out a little bit.

Here are examples.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1829.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	2842

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1828.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	2843

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Alright, yeah. Wow. That's a sexy handle. I still think that without the KU damascus thing going on with the blade, it might be too flashy. But that combo is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    Alright, yeah. Wow. That's a sexy handle. I still think that without the KU damascus thing going on with the blade, it might be too flashy. But that combo is amazing.
    Well, Ben, I think might be right. I will use ebony wood instead. I save the blond horn/golden burl ironwood combination for damascus.

Regular damascus patterns don't do a whole lot for me. They're kinda pretty, and I don't mind them, but they don't move me. The KU damascus, though? Mmmmmmmmmmm
    Len

Actually, the KU damascus is not that different than many random pattern damascus that are deep etched. If one was grind a blade similarly (like a double edged yanagi), one could have obtained a similar look.

M

I'll have to keep that in mind for custom orders in the future
    Len

I didn't imply that, it was just my observation that if you etch your blade enough, it will develop rough surface similar to kuro uchi. So the way to replicate that, would be to pregrind, etch, and then grind the bevels.

M

These look painstakingly crafted. No stone unturned, huh?