Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: The Moment Has Come - First Batch WIP Coming Up

Looking Fantastic Brother........What was your conclusion on your hand finish.

Good question Mario, I was wondering the same thing.

k.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” -- Isaac Asimov

DAMN... those knives look to good. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Looking Fantastic Brother........What was your conclusion on your hand finish.
    A had to go from 220 grit up so it was a fair amount of work. I brought it up to 600 with 3M paper and now I am waiting for Norton Black Ice to arrive to apply a final finish.

I got to say, I am happier with a hand finish despite extra time it takes, as I didn't have a good luck with a machine finish anyway I tried. Carbon steel like 52100 finished to a higher grit will be less susceptible to discoloring and rusting.

Thanks guys.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Impeccable craftsmanship Marko. I'm envious.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Thanks guys, I am flattered.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

How fine do you plan to take the finish?

I am going to go with 600 Norton over 600 3M and see if it makes a difference. Will also try Black Ice 800 and possibly 1000 following 600.

First Order Completed

Sorry for crappy pics - it was already getting dark when I took them. I will retake some and post in gallery tomorrow.

This is for my first female chef customer!

240mm gyuto in 52100 with ironwood D-handle, nickel silver spacer and light color ferrule. Got to admit, cow horn is a different animal (literally!) and requires more care working it. I made some changes from the last handle, and a result is so much better.

What's left is to bring a finish 4 levels up (it's 220 now, and I stop at 800 grit) and to etch a maker's mark.

There are two knives in the orders, so pics of the second are to come.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0296.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	3307

Name:	DSC_0291.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	3308

Name:	DSC_0293.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	3309

Name:	DSC_0294.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	3310

Name:	DSC_0295.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	3311

Love that handle.