Quantcast
The Moment Has Come - First Batch WIP Coming Up - Page 6
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Moment Has Come - First Batch WIP Coming Up

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Do you still have two hardness testers? Maybe you could subtract some tools by selling, then buy something else and still technically be 'holding steady'.

k.
    Though I like to double on things, the second tester has been long bespoken. Just have to figure out how to ship it safely. An industrial quality bandsaw is high on my list of things to get next year, along with a few other tools, but that would depend if I can finance it from making knives.

I also want to move to a larger space above ground (currently the shop is in the basement, so humidity is an issue) so I can set up a woodworking shop. Looking at a space on the top floor in the building I am. It's 2000SF but will require about 10K to convert it into a workspace for metalworking and woodworking shop. It needs insulation, walls/ceiling, leveling floor, and electricity. The last has to be done by a licensed electrician, so that is where most money from my estimate would go.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

It has been a while since I posted in this thread, so here is a little update.

I am almost ready to start working on the orders. The last things (relatively minor) I am trying to improve are minute fit and finish related.

I ground each type of knife that were ordered for practice to familiarize myself with the grind, but also to come up with a good feel for geometry. Here are a couple of pics of the most recent practice knives. I will grind the last knife - a 270mm suji (on the edge) tonight and I think that will be all for practicing.

Pictures below are of of 275mm gyuto (on the edge) ground thin and 180mm gyuto ground normal. Both are shallow convex ground to about .005-.007 on the edge.

I aim to deliver all orders by Christmas (in order they were placed).

I started on modified D (influenced by Bob Kramer) handle. Should be finishing two by Friday. I might also do some modification to an octagonal handle to make it a little bit more pinch-grip friendly. Stay tuned.

Opinions and critique is always welcome.

Thanks,

M

PS: the small gyuto is going to the person who ordered one for a private feedback (mostly about thickness) as he is very found of small knives and his opinion will be very much appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0120.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	2240

Name:	DSC_0121.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	2241

Name:	DSC_0123.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	2242

Name:	DSC_0127.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	2243

Name:	DSC_0128.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	2244

Those grinds look great,nice and thin behind the edge.I would love to see one in person.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Those grinds look great,nice and thin behind the edge.I would love to see one in person.
    +1, They are looking great Marko.

Very nice. I see some classics In the making.

Lookin' good Marko!

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I aim to deliver all orders by Christmas (in order they were placed).
    How do we know where we are on the list. Am I behind all of Oivind's 8 knives?

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    How do we know where we are on the list. Am I behind all of Oivind's 8 knives?

k.
    Once I begin - Monday next week, I will make a list and post it in the thread. Need to get those modified handles done by then.
    Oivind has placed this order way back when, so his will be among first few knives made but I won't begin until I get steel from Devin. Might be a couple of weeks. His are only 4 (2x180, 2x150) this time.

I also need to finalize wood choices, so I see what I need to get.

M

My Last Practice Knife

OK, next week I am starting on the orders. These will be done parallel to the last few custom orders for handles and sayas that I have left.

270mm suji. The ironwood handle was a second from a custom order, so it might be a bit too flashy for the knife. Knife is thinly ground, but there is a little flex in the tip area. 3mm thick over the heel.

Had to take pictures in the afternoon with a flash so, didn't come great.

Name:	DSC_0131.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	2245

Name:	DSC_0133.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	2246

Name:	DSC_0135.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	2247

Name:	DSC_0136.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	2248

"Too flashy"? If you send that one out for a test drive, it'll never comeback . . .