Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Moment Has Come - First Batch WIP Coming Up

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I cut steel from a sheet with an angle grinder, than use a hand-held bandsaw secured in a vice to cut the blanks to a rough shape, and finally profile them on a grinder. I am going to use blanks in the pictures below as templates (much more convenient than using paper). I won't form machi on these.

It looks like I will spend the whole week cutting, profiling, and heat treating.

I measure the length on the edge, so 275mm is actually 290mm gyuto tip to handle.

Attachment 1928

Attachment 1929

Attachment 1925

Attachment 1927

Attachment 1932
    Marko, wouldn't it be easier and a lot quicker to use a plasma cutter? would that effect the steel in anyway? I can't imagine they would cost that much to buy and they don't take up that much space. It would have to be cheaper than the initial set up of a water jet job.http://www.everlastgenerators.com/

I don't own a plasma cutter, but once the profiles are finalized, it makes sense to have them waterjet cut, to cut down on a lengthy step in the process.
    I gotcha, just thought I'd throw and idea out there.

I don't think a plasma cutter is as easy to master as it seems. I had a neighbor that's a custom knife maker. He cut his knife profiles with a band saw for decades. He finally bought a plasma cutter but after spending about a year, off and on, trying to get use to it he gave up and went back to the band saw.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    I don't think a plasma cutter is as easy to master as it seems. I had a neighbor that's a custom knife maker. He cut his knife profiles with a band saw for decades. He finally bought a plasma cutter but after spending about a year, off and on, trying to get use to it he gave up and went back to the band saw.
    I used to use mine everyday, if you can follow a line you can use a plasma cutter. literally set the gun on the line, pull the trigger and trace what you want. you just need to get your settings right on gauge thickness and metal.

I have a moratorium on buying new tools. Maybe next year I will give a plasma cutter another look.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I have a moratorium on buying new tools. Maybe next year I will give a plasma cutter another look.

M
    yea, I have a moratorium on buying new knives and look how that worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    yea, I have a moratorium on buying new knives and look how that worked out.
    I am sticking to it.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

I am sticking to it.
    I believe you, I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I believe you, I really do.
    When it comes to tools, I have no free will sometimes, but this time, I think I will hold steady.

M

When it comes to tools, I have no free will sometimes, but this time, I think I will hold steady.

M
    Do you still have two hardness testers? Maybe you could subtract some tools by selling, then buy something else and still technically be 'holding steady'.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson