So what's the best way to get the sharpest knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atrain316

Reaction score
I know people say by hand but I don't have stable hands. I am looking for a perfect sharpened knife every time I can shave hair with a ken onion work sharp but is there a way to test above that sharpness

What kind of onion are you shaving with? Never heard of such.

Sharpening with whetstones involves a little bit of a learning curve, most start with less than stable hands but getting to a proficient edge is quickly learned. It would not take long before you can sharpen as good as if not better than the gizmo edge.

Gizmo sellers will not tell you about the importance of thinning your blade to maintain good cutting properties in food. If a knife only sees gizmos it will quickly develop thick shoulders that may shave hair just fine but won't cut a carrot worth a damn. Other things gizmos won't do is properly sharpen an asynchronous edge and of course single bevel edges.

To test the cutting properties of an edge I like to cut scallions for a clean cut without accordians, dice onions to ensure tip is sharp and thin, cut carrots and observe any splitting noise to check thinness. In other words to test "sharpness", I cut food. If I have a reason to think I may have a ding in the edge, I may use paper to identify if and where.

"asynchronous edge" ... yeah, the edge being there in the wrong place at the wrong time, heard the only thing I can sharpen to avoid that is skill, and damn it comes with a nasty burr.

The work sharp being a mini belt grinder, I guess he can use it for thinning better than anything if he can keep the steel cold.

I guess if he combines that with something like an edge pro for the front bevels....

The work sharp actually looks pretty good! I wish I had bought that years ago rather than the edge pro. Maybe I wouldn't have ended up going down the sharpening by hand route!

One wonder if this kind of threads are commercial shills. Basically it smells.

You guys are too cynical. Anyone dropping coin on one of the gizmos probably has an interest in sharp knives. When it turns out it's not all lollipops and orgasms they come over here.

(Do agree that some like to ask a question just to be able to provide those that have not asked it the answer.)

Atrain, are you a pro or a home cook? If a pro, maybe you can find someone else in the kitchen who is willing to sharpen for you if you are unable physically to do it yourself.

If you are a home cook, send the knives out periodically to a pro sharpener like Dave Martell.

You do not indicated what type of knives you are trying to keep sharp; that makes a difference as well.

Best for what? What hardness are the knives? What steel(s)?

Help US help YOU, as stones are the "best you can get" but you have ruled them out.

I actually think the ken onion worksharp is a very good solution for someone who otherwise might use an edge pro or chef's choice. The basic belts do a good job and you get a slightly convex edge which is good for beginners. The trouble is the basic unit only goes down to 15 degrees. Quick passes and a water bucket are needed of course and thinning on a belt takes some skill as the steel comes off awfully quickly..

With the blade grinder attachment the Ken Onion is basically as good (and about as expensive!) as my 1x42 belt grinder, you can even go down to 10 degrees

You can quickly get a really great edge with them and using stones on softer, abrasion resistant steels isn't fun!

Will freehanding on a belt grinder (I have none) be more difficult or easier than on a stone for the OP?

I got a set of victornox knifes and a miyabi and some knives that are about 59 hardness and miyabi is 61 but I can get them arm hair cutting sharp but just want to see if there is a system to take them to the next level that does a perfect sharp every time I just like perfection

If you are KEEPING these arm hair sharp without constantly grinding them on the ken onion, you are probably stropping and/or steeling them well, which means your hands are capable of more steadiness than you think :)

Actually just use the belts and that's it and I just use the guide that's on it

Let me shill (not really) for Jon's diamond stone combo set. Fast enough to get it done without much time for wobbling and leaves the sharpest edge I've ever managed.

Oh, for learning stones it is the wrongest advice, so that it might be the unwrongest advice for a belt grinder might bear repeating.

So if we were to get in a competition do you think I stone would be sharper then belt sander paper wheel or any other method just looking for what would be sharpest

Well I havent really looked for sharpening on paper wheel or sander for razor because to me it seems like sharpening on stones is primitave

To me that's part of the appeal... details about the steel and heat treat (and maybe stone) aside, there's something satisfying about doing the same thing that was done hundreds or thousands of years ago.

Steady hands and practice . The most important components of a sharpening setup

@DanHumphrey you mean the way some of us will give a market stand full of julienne peelers a disdainful look, leave and go do nakiri practice?

@malexthekid he mentioned steady hands are a problem for him.

Yes but the OP wasn't asking for themself, they asked for the best and in a competitiom etc...

So my point still stands... unsteady hands on a belt are just as bad, if not worse, than stones.

And in response to other point, just because something is primative doesn't mean it is bad... heck modern efficiency is more often than not "inferior" to the primative ways of the past.

Back