Build the ultimate beginning sharpening set...then

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome (again) to the forum :cool2:.

Everybody here is crazy except me and you. And you I'm not sure of.....

Normal = of average or adequate intelligence. **** that.

No jns 6k [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

That's a beginning set? All you need is a 1k and a flattener.. Jki offers a cheap 1k/3k combo stone now which I would also consider.

no...ultimate beginning set. I don't know if I've said this before, but I'm a VERY tactile person. How something "feels" is very important. I'm starting off getting a decently wide range of synthetic stones to develop a sense of what kind of feedback I like to get. Then I'll probably try a few jnats to see if they provide feedback in a way I like better. I'm also working on picking up some inexpensive starter natural stones.

The closest analogy I can draw (pun intended) it with graphic pencils. I draw freehand as a hobby and have several different sets of graphite pencils. Even though the hardness scale is supposedly the same, a pencil from one manufacture will respond very differently in my hand as opposed to a pencil from another manufacturer. I suspect it will be the same with the stones.

Fortunately I can afford to experiment a bit to see what I like. If I end up with stones I don't like or don't feel right for my kitchen knives, I have other things I'll be able to use them for. If nothing else, maybe a few stone pass-arounds.

Aaaand it looks like I'll have to be patient a bit longer. Four inquiries, only one reply and all but three of the items in my basket are now sold out. I understand things go quickly during a sale but it is a tad bit aggravating when you get multiple robo-reminders about items in your cart but no responses to inquiries. It's too bad, his products were spoken of very highly.

I get the frustration, but as you probably know Maksim is a one man operation. So I imagine, particularly during a sale, he's quite overwhelmed. It's worth persisting, in my experience. He's a great guy with great products.

I get the frustration, but as you probably know Maksim is a one man operation. So I imagine, particularly during a sale, he's quite overwhelmed. It's worth persisting, in my experience. He's a great guy with great products.

To be truthful, I didn't know he was a one man operation. I've read through a lot of posts here but never picked up on that. It's just frustrating because I want to place a big order with him but can't because he's out of stock on almost everything I want (prior in whiney voice :biggrin: ). First world problems...I know.

Is the King 1/6 plus a newspaper, any old coarse stone, and a fine koppa a beginning set... or more a past-beginner, wants to sharpen, cook and write on forums and not worry about stone purchases set?

One thing to note, beginner sets are good for beginner to intermediate knives. If you go high end knives, then high end stones are good.

So, what knives do you want to sharpen? And what knives will you get in future?

I started learning sharpening on my 14 year old Globals that I didn't mind beating up! Glad I did because my Toyamas looks better for it.

Fatboylim

I did go with the JNS medium set and their blue synthetic aoto to start with. The stones are very nice and have a solid "consistent" feel. Easy to tell why they're a favorite here even for a beginner like me.

I had a wide range of German knives that I'm practicing on before I move to my customs (I can say that, I have two *GRIN*) and my Japanese knives. I have two Butch Harners, Two Watanabe's, a shig, Tanaka, and a few others I can't recall (I'm at work). I'll go into my stones in the sharpening section as it wouldn't feel right to me to go on about stones on JNS's board that were not sourced from them.

Fatboylim

I did go with the JNS medium set and their blue synthetic aoto to start with. The stones are very nice and have a solid "consistent" feel. Easy to tell why they're a favorite here even for a beginner like me.

I had a wide range of German knives that I'm practicing on before I move to my customs (I can say that, I have two *GRIN*) and my Japanese knives. I have two Butch Harners, Two Watanabe's, a shig, Tanaka, and a few others I can't recall (I'm at work). I'll go into my stones in the sharpening section as it wouldn't feel right to me to go on about stones on JNS's board that were not sourced from them.

Wow, that is already quite a collection, good on you! Regarding sharpening of high ends like yours, that's out of my league! Over to the experts.

Well i got lots of nice Jnats and Tnats but still the JNS 1000 is my favorite 1k Stone and the JNS 6000 is also a keeper forever (even with all the stuff i have.. but i like the feedback and everything about it.. actually i havent used the 6k for a while but i love its silky smooth feedback).

Captain: Maxim from JNS is indeed a one man operation.
This quote is from the last e-mail I got from him:

"Because of my personal suff i mention in previous email , Unfortunately i have to close up for all shipments from yesterday :( to 2 January 2017
I will not be at my home this dates from 10 December to 2 January
I will also go for business trip to Sanjo Japan from 21 December to 2 January
I know it is long time but i have to do it !
So to make it up i make all that time discount in the store 15 % off, exc Shigefusa and Kato knives
You will get it automatically at checkout no code needed and i will ship it when i get home. "

I hope this explains some of the issues you have met.
I am sure you will be able to have a dialog with him by the time he is back.

Sorry, I just realised I answered in an old thread.
My bad.
Hope you got your desired stones and items. If not, some are in stock, and again on sale:)

Back