Tadafusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinypies

Reaction score
Why are these knives so cheap? They seem too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I have the 120 wide petty. My wife picked it up as a gift at epicurean edge in Seattle (Kirkland). It's fine, sharpens great, f&f is pretty decent. But it is kinda thick and chunky.

Why are these knives so cheap? They seem too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I used to have a 150mm petty. Their a little porky behind the edge for hard veg. I used to use mine for Ballantine chickens. Its a decent simple knife that could use some thinning. I think I moved the lamination line 3mm up. Then it started to wake up.

good knife to learn to sharpen and thin on. Was for me.

The Nashijis are damn good knives for the price

Hi,

I got a Tadafusa 240 Gyuto recently, because I couldn't get myself to spend the money on a T-F Gyuto :D

It is quite thick behind the edge, that means that cutting veggies isn't too much fun, even when the knife itself is razor sharp. But just as it has been said, I got started on thinning it down, and while i'm not done yet, the improvement is drastic already. Don't know about the nakiri, but I'm happy with the gyuto after investing some work.
I was a bit puzzled about the grey stuff on the knife. First I thought it was the metal, but it came of with just a bit of sanding. I think that the knife looks much better now :cool2:

i´ve noticed the coating aswell but i haven´t found a way to get rid of it, what did you use on the coating and the thinning?

So, for removing the grey coating, I used 400 grit wet-dry paper, this did it in very little time. Be aware that this will leave scratches, if you don't want these, you will have to re-finish the blade. Mirror polish is difficult to achieve and means that food will stick a lot, so if you can live with a rougher surface, this will be ok.

For thinning: Well I tried rubbing with wet-dry sandpaper to thin in some places where I could not get with the stone, this did work to a degree, but the results were somewhat irregular. What worked well was his method:

[video=youtube;3jsTtnidY3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jsTtnidY3w[/video]

[video=youtube;twP_05UEHIM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twP_05UEHIM[/video]

I used a Kai 320-1000 whetstone for this, meaning the 320 part :) Now that I know better, I would get a different stone, but the kai stone is ok.
I applied something similar to the sharpie (for Germans: Edding :) )-method: I used 1200 grit sandpaper and polished the blade from time to time. This allows me see the scratch-marks and check where I am removing material. This is very important, check again and again where you are scraping off metal.

This is a LOT of work, especially if you're inexperienced. I have put 5-6 hours into this and I am far from being finished. I learned a lot though, and I did take my time, not taking off material too quickly. Rather, I did some thinning, used the knife for a while to see how it behaved, did some more thinning.... The Tadafusa is perfect for that. I am beginning to get a feeling for the knife and the process. Just so you know - the knife will look different, and this only makes sense if you are willing to learn and invest time and effort. Then, it is very rewarding.

By the way, this is how the knife looks now. I only polished it superficially, since it is not finished I won't remove the deep scratch marks, this takes a lot of time. Only makes sense once you're finished thinning.

f17682-1480018079.jpg

Back