D. Martell For Sale - Martell Wa Nakiri in CPM154

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
For Sale - Martell 180mm Wa Nakiri

This is only the second octagonal handle I've made to completion but it's the first for a Martell knife. I actually started construction of this handle a long time ago but put it aside as I was nervous about being able to shape it as I wanted to. I always knew that I could cut the angles in correctly but I wanted to also taper the handle in all directions/facets (as I like this over the typical broom stick block look) and this was what stopped me from trying. Well, I finally said what the hell and dove in and tried it "free hand" (vs using a table/disc sander for the angles) working on my belt sander and then finished by hand sanding on a reference plate. The result is nearly perfect flat mirror like bevels with (as planned) tapers in all directions. To say that I'm pleased with the results would be an understatement! I see more of these in my future. :spiteful:

The wood used for the handle is presentation grade Hawaiian Mango. I'm usually not a fan of using mango because most of what I've got in the past has been punky soft but this block was the opposite - hard/dense/stable and was a joy to work with.

The blade has been ground convex yet is very thin above the edge to the mid-point, it should cut great. The profile has plenty of height for proper knuckle clearance. The steel used is CPM-154, a powdered stainless steel, that is very tough providing great edge retention, and ease of sharpening.

This nakiri will surely put a smile on your face. :wink:

Stats...

Model - Nakiri

Blade Length - 180mm

Steel - CPM-154 (powdered stainless steel)

Hardness - Rc 61-62 (with cryo)

Height (at heel) - 58mm

Handle - Wa (octagonal)

Handle Materials - Presentation grade Hawaiian Mango & streaked buffalo horn spacer

Price - $575

Shipping - Included in USA/International - will split cost with buyer

Please contact through PM or email if interested in purchasing.

Thanks,
Dave

P1010002.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010020.JPG

P1010021.JPG

P1010023.JPG

Thanks Tanner. :)

What do you other guys think? You like custom wa handles on my knives?

The handle looks great... unfortunately nakiris just aren't for me.

To be honest, every handle I've seen you put on a knife (from you gallery) looks like it was designed just for that knife (which it was). This one is every bit as beautiful as the knife.

Beautiful knife. Is the blade tapered or is that a photographic artifact?

The handle looks great... unfortunately nakiris just aren't for me.

Thanks for the compliment.

Absolutely gorgeous knife, but the handle tops it. Really beautiful.

Wow, thanks.

To be honest, every handle I've seen you put on a knife (from you gallery) looks like it was designed just for that knife (which it was). This one is every bit as beautiful as the knife.

You're too kind, thank you.

Dave,

I love the idea of custom wa handles as an option. Do you have an idea of the cost difference, if any? What are the measurements of this handle, width and height at the front and end of the handle?

One day I will have a Martell knife in my collection... unfortunately the bank account says that day is not today. :(

I think your western handles look incredible and are totally distinctive and scream "Martell". Interestingly, this wa handle is very distinctive too and looks exactly like what I'd imagine a Martell wa handle would look like, if that makes any sense... Super cool! :doublethumbsup:

Dave,

I love the idea of custom wa handles as an option. Do you have an idea of the cost difference, if any? What are the measurements of this handle, width and height at the front and end of the handle?

Hi Bill,
I don't expect the cost to be any different for me to make wa handles than westerns.

This handle measures 18/25mm (front) x 20/28mm (ass end)

One day I will have a Martell knife in my collection... unfortunately the bank account says that day is not today. :(

I think your western handles look incredible and are totally distinctive and scream "Martell". Interestingly, this wa handle is very distinctive too and looks exactly like what I'd imagine a Martell wa handle would look like, if that makes any sense... Super cool! :doublethumbsup:

I get it, makes sens to me. :) Thanks!

Back