• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

A 165mm nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd only ask if you're sure you don't want something a bit longer? I personally find 165 to be a tad small. I'll suggest checking out Dave Martell's subforum for a beautiful knife that I'm sure will cut very well.

The knife will be used in a small kitchen by pretty small people. The 210mm is quite huge for the mother, and they like the size of the 165mm santoku.
But I don't cancel the idea of 180mm nakiri, if it'll suite all the other parameters.

+1 Chinacats rec for 180. I find it more versatile, can use it to make bigger things small, and more of them. That said I had a 165 that I used quite a bit and liked. 165 is a popular length for Carter Nakiri.

Nakiris are my knife of choice. I personally find 165mm is just a little short. I would say 180mm is the sweet spot for me after having used 210mm as well. What exactly are you looking for in a Nakiri, cause 450 is almost close to custom Nakiri prices

Thanks to all you guys with your fast helping! I will surely think about the knife length.

I think this info will help a little, but maybe with new knife offering we should move the talk to the main forum :)

It'll be used for everyday cooking by him and his wife. Looks of the knife is really impotent, but damascus isn't the only way a knife can be pretty

The knife will join a 210mm heiji semi-stainless gyuto and a takamura hana santoku. He loves the heiji much more then the takamura.

Sorry.. looks is really impotent. Do you mean important or impotent as in its non functional attribute so it's not required

if looks are important.. try the konosuke sakura from a shop in Canada (not sure I can post the name here)

I cant comment on the steel etc but it looks good

The "Richmond Impotent" - steel guaranteed to never get hard. You saw it here first:cool2:

Edit: I feel really, really bad now.

1. looks are important, but aren't everything. I think my heiji is beautiful knife.
2. Damn this is one ugly knife, with ugly vg10 steel I must add.

Many here can provide you with very good recommendations. But as you stated that looks are very important to your GF's father, I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

May I suggest this one for your consideration: Mcusta Zanmai Hammer 165mm nakiri. It's attracted me for a while just for its aesthetics - OK, let's call it bling. Highly polished, hammered finish with a twisted octagonal handle. It's Damascus but with a VG10 core - not the most loved steel around here. I've never used it but it felt good in my hand and the edge was very good. Available from Chef's Armoury in Australia (perhaps elsewhere) and they ship to Israel. Well within your budget at $250 before shipping, so plenty left to spend on a saya.
Link: http://www.chefsarmoury.com/collect...er/products/mcusta-zanmai-hammer-165mm-nakiri

Afterthought: while looking for this knife I spotted a knife I hadn't considered but fits your brief regarding looks - a Saji Desert Ironwood nakiri with a stunning Damascus effect but with a more Western handle. It's ~$422 but I know very little about this knife. Link: http://www.chefsarmoury.com/collections/saji-desert-ironwood/products/saji-ironwood-165mm-nakiri

Edit: Just saw you say "ugly VG10" after posting. In that case, avoid my first suggestion.

Hi,

I actually handled the mcusta at chefsarmoury, I didn't like it because of the weight. I like a nakiri with a bit more heft. That being said the mcusta is a pretty sweet knife and it was really sharp when I test drove it. But if I had $450 to spend I would get the takamura just cause I like the R2 steel much more. Just my $0.02

Are you in Israel? If so, you might want to take the drive to Beersheva and check out TC Blades. He could make you a custom Nakiri to your specs, within your price range. I'm not a shill, just a friend. :biggrin:

Back