looking for a cheap J knive to test Jnats with

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynot1985

Reaction score
looking for come cheap jknives so I can test my jnats on. any recommendations

so regret not buying the misono seconds at the knife show in seki

I'd shoot for cheap Chinese carbon steel...sharpens easily enough and you can likely find them fairly in a Chinese market for a fair price.

Yamawaku or one of those Kurouchi shiro kamos from cleancut

Tojiro YSS? They're cheap, and while their heat treat seems controversial, it is white steel at least :)

I got a more less 'no name' 165 mm funayuki for about $70 for that purpose(and to use it to test to make a new style of handle). Plus it can cut fish :) The bevel is flat, not convex - that makes it easier for a less experieced guy like me to test the kasumi finish without unnecessary amound of streaks. I would look for something along those lines. Many wide bevel knives out there have slightly concave ground bevel (both my Kochi kurouchi and Munetoshi are that way), so you may need to first remove that before making kasume makes sense. It will be quite some work. ´

My Yoshikane SKD had flat bevels out of the box, but stainless clad knife would not be the best choice to test stones for kasumi finish.

Tanaka kurouchi from James? You might actually get nice knife also.

i ordered a 150mm tojiro yasuki to practice my sharpening skills and i find myself using it quite a lot

It is probably the instinct to cut something with it that makes you successfully sharpen it :) OTOH, there is the reverse effect: Something you try to stop from being sharp usually ends up sharp when that causes maximum trouble.

Some other guy has used some jnats on it but that shouldn't be a problem

Latest posts

Back