Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took a big bite, whats your preference?

Took a big bite, whats your preference?

Well, got a little lets say silly today, grabbed a hunk of CPM154, and proceded to remove everything from that bar of steel that wasn't a bread knife. I didn't realize that there was so much bread knife in that bar of steel. As is right now, it's 320mm along the edge. Got the serrations started, all placed, now to widen them and polish the deep scratches away before HT. Kinda resembles a big western handled suji... It should be able to be sharpened like a single bevel on stones (carefully) the way the serrations are, by removing material from the back, will give them new life.

Is 320mm too big?

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Call it a tuna saw and sell it for 3x as much!

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Nah, 320mm is fine! I used a 14 inch bread knife pretty regularly for a few years when I worked in Portland. It was hard adjusting back down.

Sounds great-I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a new bread knife. Photos of the process are always appreciated.

Will do, look for them in my section in a couple days...

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Sounds just about right, the Guede bread knife is exactly the same length. http://www.guede-messershop.de/epage...uctDetailImage

Stefan

Sounds perfect

320 is just fine in my opinion. I like longer knives

Haha. You guys must be cutting ginormous logs o' bread! I wouldn't mind a 14"er but I'm doing fine with my 10+" knife. +1 to the tuna saw.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Haha. You guys must be cutting ginormous logs o' bread! I wouldn't mind a 14"er but I'm doing fine with my 10+" knife. +1 to the tuna saw.
    The round loaves my wife bakes are ~10 inches in diameter, so we'd love to get a >12" long bread knife. Sure, you can stand the loaf on edge and cut it, but it's easier to keep even slices if the loaf is sitting normally (only have to cut down ~4 inches instead of 10 inches).