Took a big bite, whats your preference?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
Well, got a little lets say silly today, grabbed a hunk of CPM154, and proceded to remove everything from that bar of steel that wasn't a bread knife. I didn't realize that there was so much bread knife in that bar of steel. As is right now, it's 320mm along the edge. Got the serrations started, all placed, now to widen them and polish the deep scratches away before HT. Kinda resembles a big western handled suji... It should be able to be sharpened like a single bevel on stones (carefully) the way the serrations are, by removing material from the back, will give them new life.

Is 320mm too big?

Nah, 320mm is fine! I used a 14 inch bread knife pretty regularly for a few years when I worked in Portland. It was hard adjusting back down.

Sounds great-I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a new bread knife. Photos of the process are always appreciated.

320 is just fine in my opinion. I like longer knives

Haha. You guys must be cutting ginormous logs o' bread! I wouldn't mind a 14"er but I'm doing fine with my 10+" knife. +1 to the tuna saw.

Haha. You guys must be cutting ginormous logs o' bread! I wouldn't mind a 14"er but I'm doing fine with my 10+" knife. +1 to the tuna saw.
The round loaves my wife bakes are ~10 inches in diameter, so we'd love to get a >12" long bread knife. Sure, you can stand the loaf on edge and cut it, but it's easier to keep even slices if the loaf is sitting normally (only have to cut down ~4 inches instead of 10 inches).

Wow, looking forward to see that knife. How do you do the serrations, if not secret? I have seen tutorials for doing it by hand, but it takes a long time.

M

No secret, maybe not the most efficient way, but... Grind to say 70% complete, layout centers for the serrations, choose a file of appropriate diameter and get to work, use a dremmel, or wrap sand paper around a file to clean up the rough grind lines. HT, finish grind and polish. If I had a horrizontal milling machine, I would do them that way.

I would like to try making a serrated knife some time. I think a vertical milling machine would work too.

M

Back