Need new Non-stick pans

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know, I know ... a lot of folks say "don't buy any". But while I like my cast iron (will get a bigger one soon), I need two nonsticks ... my wife demands them. She rarely ever cooks, but she wants them anyway. For her and her mom in law when they come visit.

I had two cheaper Caphalons that were on sale, but they scratched both badly within a year. I partially blame my wife for that (the utensils she uses and the way she throws them into the cabinet, but well well ..).

Anyhow. Looking for decently priced nonsticks, a smaller (mostly for omelettes) and a fairly large one.

Thanks!

I don't know the prices of Scanpan in the US, but the Scanpan CTX series is the best teflon I've ever used. I don't use them much (mainly carbon steel and thick copper/stainless), but when I do, they are a pleasure as far as teflon goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
That I cannot say, as I have never used them. I have only owned the CTX line. I am sure some other forum members can chime in.

I know America's Test Kitchen made a teflon review video. Maybe that could come of use.

[video=youtube;HwJKDD6E7M0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwJKDD6E7M0[/video]

Haven't tried the classic, but the CTX I got recently is really very nice.

Lars

"the utensils she uses and the way she throws them into the cabinet" ... well, so getting a new $20 pan every year is more realistic than a $200 pan every 10 year.

Inexpensive cookware shopping: Buy every version IKEA has and try it, keep what is good and throw away straight what is bad, and you'll still get a lot of value for money :)

I keep a few Tefal pans for my wife and they are some of the best non-sticks we've tried. They won't break the bank too.

My personal belief is that a nonstick will need replacing every 3-5 years, so getting all fancy doesn't really pay off as they all fail eventually. On the other hand, if you go very cheap, they will barely last 2 years..

"the utensils she uses and the way she throws them into the cabinet" ... well, so getting a new $20 pan every year is more realistic than a $200 pan every 10 year.

Inexpensive cookware shopping: Buy every version IKEA has and try it, keep what is good and throw away straight what is bad, and you'll still get a lot of value for money :)

Oh my, he's looking for helpful advise here [emoji8]

If you buy a decent pan and it scratches the manufacturer will replace it. Least calphalon and scan pan and AC will

I like Swiss Diamond a lot. In my hobby/job at the culinary store I get to use all manner of pans. Don't like AC non-stick. Don't like Scan Pan - but it's been a couple years.

Swiss Diamond will hold up to daily use, by housewives/students, using every utensil in the store, using temps that I've not seen any other ns hold up to. Replacement schedule averaged about 2 years in this environment. Did I mention I like it? And I own several for omelets, fish, cheese sauces etc.

The Woll line and Black Diamond line are getting some love at the store. They've only been carrying them for a few months but looks good so far.

Oh my, he's looking for helpful advise here [emoji8]

If you buy a decent pan and it scratches the manufacturer will replace it. Least calphalon and scan pan and AC will

He's not going to use the pan himself, and from his post, his wife is indifferent to what kind of pan he gets as long as it is non-stick. I know it goes against what most of us would do, but buying "throwaways" in this case is a valid strategy.

He's not going to use the pan himself, and from his post, his wife is indifferent to what kind of pan he gets as long as it is non-stick. I know it goes against what most of us would do, but buying "throwaways" in this case is a valid strategy.

I agree. The problem I have with that strategy.... I hate throwing stuff away. For multiple reasons

If you don't look after them properly, you're going to be throwing them away. That said I have some of the cheapest, cheap cheap supermarket brand non-stick gear here (Furnished flat, came with) that I use and they've lasted every day use for over a year now, I daresay once a year use would make even the cheapest stuff last a long time.

We can sharpen a knife, we can't recoat a teflon pan (and sharpening it is ill advised), so I think the "no throw-away, buy expensive and not often" mentality doesn't stand on the same feet there.

The reason I am an IKEA fan nowadays with nonstick cookware: They openly advertise the coating grade/brand/system they put on it (many pan manufacturers do nowadays, I tend to not trust these that don't), and some of it isn't even bad!

And free replacements... if a local shop can handle the replacement, for sure. Packaging, hauling to the post, probably having to collect the return package from the post, to do the mailorder replacement can easily exceed (depending on how time is valued) the cost of a cheap replacement pan picked up on the way to work....

For good, affordable non-stick pans, just go to your local Costco. They carry a 2-pack of GreenPan skillets if you want a ceramic coating, or a 3-pack of Tramontina if you are OK with Teflon. I think both are around $30-40, less if they are one of the monthly specials.

I have a suspicion that ceramic coatings are not all they're ... well, they are cracking up in some way and losing nonstick properties quickly. Seems they really DO NOT like thermal shock btw...

The "green pans" might be the most poorly designed product for it's intended use ever. Well, since the AMC Gremlin anyway.

Just sayin.

I've been using the Scan Pan Classic for many years and for the money they do their job quite well.

Have a look at the Mauviel Stone series. We have a smaller pot and the surface seems more resistant to damage than convention teflon stuff. The cookware is 4 mm this aluminium with a thin steel plate for induction on the bottom. We have the pot for about a year and it serves us well. The stainless handles too get rather hot though.

I'm not a bit fan of non-stick, but someone (maybe bk?) recommended these and for the money they are excellent (though don't see much use). Wound up being perfect because they're pretty good and very inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QB9TPS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

and a review here...
https://www.centurylife.org/product-review-anolon-nouvelle-copper/

Nice memory and that would still be my recommendation today. They should have 2 piece sets on sale for the holidays for just under $50. It's an amazing amount of aluminum and copper for the money and it comes with DuPont's highest end coating, autograph II

@daveb oh, anything that doesn't stick to a stainless steel pan usually doesn't stick to a green pan. Given most people don't know that some things do not stick to stainless steel pans, or come unstuck on their own....:detective:

Also, a classic example of designing stuff for its intended use but not for its intended abuse ;)

The "green pans" might be the most poorly designed product for it's intended use ever. Well, since the AMC Gremlin anyway.

Hmmm....perhaps you purchased one of their pans when ceramic fry pans first came out several years ago? None of the ceramic coatings from that generation lasted very long, regardless of brand. My in-laws have been using the current Costco GreenPans for the past year and we have been using ScanPans. Both coatings have held up very well.

BTW, those Analon pans look nice and are induction compatible. For non-stick properties, it's still hard to beat Teflon.

I have gastrolux, I think they're made in Denmark. My most used has been used daily for 2.5 years and now sometimes likes to give me trouble with things such as stuck on cheese and sugary stuff, but heating it up then cooling, or cleaning VERY gently with BKF (was recommended to me by the store) helps. They have quite the warranty too, but not cheap either. If your wife is careless perhaps cheaper disposable pans are a better option

I have scanpan CTX and Scanpan CTQ, both are amazing. They brown nice, clean easy, very durable, can take abuse well. I love them and they are worth every penny.

I have a scanpan ctx fry pan and wok. Still to use the fry pan but the wok has held up brilliantly

@daveb oh, anything that doesn't stick to a stainless steel pan usually doesn't stick to a green pan. Given most people don't know that some things do not stick to stainless steel pans, or come unstuck on their own....

Typical life cycle of "green pan" Use it a time or two or three. Stuff is stuck to it. Scrub hell out of it and stuff comes off. Next time more stuff sticks. Scrub hell out of it and stuff comes off. Next time more stuff sticks......

Also, a classic example of designing stuff for its idealistic use but not for reality ;)
Fixed and Tru dat.

Hmmm....perhaps you purchased one of their pans when ceramic fry pans first came out several years ago? None of the ceramic coatings from that generation lasted very long, regardless of brand.

Lax, I've not purchased any of them. My part time/hobby job is assisting and conducting cooking demonstrations for a local WS type culinary store. Some of these are cooking demos where the owner wants to feature some of his latest and greatest product. Some of them are product demos where a specific product is used. Some of these are classes I support where I can use any product sold by the store.

1st use of Zwilling pan. Induction cooktop. Owner wanted to sear some fish that I had SV'd.

Green%20Pan%20becomes%20Scorch%20Pan.jpg

Anyway, it was not my intent to take the thread off the track by dumping on ceramics. They are the latest and greatest and in my experience with about 5 brands they are not worth owning. YMMV.

To alt, Certainly understand you don't want to drop a lot of coin on cookware that will not be used often. Also understand that you don't want throwaway cookware either. At 50 - 70 a pan (better when you can catch a sale) the SD works for me. I've only heard good things about ScanPan in recent years though have not used one in at least 10. Will encourage you to not make this a wally world purchase where you'll know going in that you're buying crap. Keep us posted on where you end up.

I guess people who like working with sweet or sweet-savory or acidic stuff, or make meat analogues or non-traditional burgers, or like trying out new grains, or who like to simmer things semi-unattended, have more of a need for nonstick :) And for these NEED-nonstick cases, ceramic is a bad alternative, and that's what I wanted to point out.

"dumping on ceramics" ... now that is a well-proven application.

Latest posts

Back