Quantcast
Yoshikane SKD
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoshikane SKD

Yoshikane SKD

I've seen two Yoshikane SKD 270 gyutos. One is western and is a massive BEAST the other is a wa and is almost laser-like. When the box got here, it was so light I thought it was empty at first. Is there that much variation or are the western and wa just that different?

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

I know my wa SKD 240 from Dr. Naka is pretty light, 175g or so IIRC.

If you see Yoshikane Gyuto shop to shop in Japan you will see that the spine thickness varies

where did you get the knives from?

Where both of these other people's knives?

I thought they were thicker in general, but really thin one on Dr. Naka's site was special requestd by the customer?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    Where both of these other people's knives?...
    Yup. The thick, western-handled one was from EE. The thin, wa-handled one, I don't know yet but the thick on was WAY thicker (close to double the thickness). It's not really in the same ballpark at all.

my kitaeji yoshikane v2 240 is 243g with the stock handle. the blade is probably 10% thinner than the blade on my 240 kasumi shig. not sure how useful that is, since they are different knife styles, and handmade and all.

ok ... just to make sure i'm on the right page - what we're saying here is that there's a thin knife made from that tough tool steel that yoshikane that people have loved so much in the past? and how thin? Like 2.25mm thin? Just curious. Maybe I should just email drnaka?

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I've owned both, and the western is a thick beast. It's like they are not from the same maker they are so different in thickness.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    ok ... just to make sure i'm on the right page - what we're saying here is that there's a thin knife made from that tough tool steel that yoshikane that people have loved so much in the past? and how thin? Like 2.25mm thin? Just curious. Maybe I should just email drnaka?
    if the wa skd is like my wa v2, then it's very similar to the shigefusa, and that's why it's loved so much.

+ Reply to Thread