Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cris Anderson 24 cm custom XH gyuto

Cris Anderson 24 cm custom XH gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by MontezumaBoy View Post
    I just had to have my Honduran Rosewood Burl
    +1, HRB 4 lyfe!

Wait until you see some of the blocks I have… with the heartwood/sapwood ends similar to the ironwood one Cris did last year (I think for Marc?). I think that will be a good fit for the hamon.

"A dull knife means you're a ******* loser" – Matty Matheson

I love Cris's work and have my name on his list but had a couple of other customs come up which zapped my funds so I am still waiting to get one of his.

Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    I was able to, without trying particularly hard, find the performance limits of the knife I received from him. It may just be that I am very accustomed to personally tuned, optimized geometries that work better for the harder things I cut.
    Hi XooMG - Just scratching the surface with this knife as I was on travel when I received it! My comments are primarily around the customer service side and that for generic veg the blade was very adept and felt well in the hand. Will have a lot more to play with now so will take my time to get to know it.

Just curious what specific items you mean when referring to "harder things I cut"?

My $0.02 is that everyone has an opinion and as long as the criticism is constructive seems pretty silly to having to worry about being censured or having akward interactions with makers. Seems some healthy commentary goes along way but that never seems to be the case ... just look where I live to see that silliness abounds ... land of flakes and butterflies after all ... LOL

TjA

TJ - Chris did show me a couple of his hamon babies ... very, very pretty and I think that those woods would be very pretty in deed!

TjA

Quote Originally Posted by tjangula View Post
    +1, HRB 4 lyfe!

Wait until you see some of the blocks I have… with the heartwood/sapwood ends similar to the ironwood one Cris did last year (I think for Marc?). I think that will be a good fit for the hamon.

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    Quote Originally Posted by MontezumaBoy View Post
    My $0.02 is that everyone has an opinion and as long as the criticism is constructive seems pretty silly to having to worry about being censured or having akward interactions with makers. Seems some healthy commentary goes along way but that never seems to be the case ... just look where I live to see that silliness abounds ... land of flakes and butterflies after all ... LOL

TjA
    Agree 100%.

Count me in the group that thinks we need to be a bit more open and willing to also discuss - in a fair and subjective way - experiences that don't fall in the "I LOVE THIS KNIFE" category. You almost never hear any kind of negative/constructive feedback. I know there are tons of reasons for that, and I'm guilty of it as well. I admit that!

If a knife is wedging in food it shouldn't be wedging in... we should say that. If F&F is not what can be expected from a knife costing $XXX, we should state.

Just my opinion.

Full disclosure: this is a general statement and does NOT refer to Cris Anderson knives. I don't own one, have never tried one and will most likely never buy one because the handle style doesn't appeal to me. But again: that's a personal taste!

Cris Anderson 24 cm....

Cris sports a sizable tool....

That board is tripping balls

Quote Originally Posted by alterwisser View Post
    Agree 100%.

Count me in the group that thinks we need to be a bit more open and willing to also discuss - in a fair and subjective way - experiences that don't fall in the "I LOVE THIS KNIFE" category. You almost never hear any kind of negative/constructive feedback. I know there are tons of reasons for that, and I'm guilty of it as well. I admit that!

If a knife is wedging in food it shouldn't be wedging in... we should say that. If F&F is not what can be expected from a knife costing $XXX, we should state.

Just my opinion.

Full disclosure: this is a general statement and does NOT refer to Cris Anderson knives. I don't own one, have never tried one and will most likely never buy one because the handle style doesn't appeal to me. But again: that's a personal taste!
    HUGE +1.

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    This thread should get back to the heart of its intent- a 240mm by Cris Anderson (Edit) instead of where I tried to take it.
    That's disturbing, Marc!

I always ...

Edit: NO.
    Last edited by daveb; 11-19-2016 at 05:37 PM.

I'm kinda surprised to hear that knife is great for push cutting. Usually flatter profiled knives w really pointy tips feel better suited for pull cuts in my experience. Thanks for the review.