Quantcast
Stone fun
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stone fun

Stone fun

So I wanted to compare the edge of a variety of different finishing stones side by side to see how the different edges feel on food.

soaking right now I have-
    Rika 5k
    Geshin 8k
    immanishi 10k
    JCK 10k
    Geshin 15k
    I also have a leather strop with diamond oxide to see how the edges change with that

should be fun and interesting

well, you are going to have to tell us the knife, steel, and previous stones as well as the food you are going to test it on!!!

i cannot wait for the results!!

Sounds good. What knives are you going to use for the test? Are you actually gonna resharpen every time?

I used a fowler w2 and a dt itk aebl so I would have a carbon and stainless. If I used more knives this would of taken forever. I used the 5k rika as a base line for all the stones and would bring each knife back to the rika before testing another stone. I also tested the strop after each stone. Took a while. I was looking at both the feeling and actions of the stones against each other as well as the results. The final results off of each stone are not leaps and bounds different in a sense that they are all sharp. But the stones all work very differently and they all do have slightly different results.

Are you gonna post results?

So these are just some quick results, long term tests and retention and the feeling on products during service would take quite some time.

The rika was the base stone. I would start both knives at this one and go on to the next stop. I did quite a few back and fourths and up and downs.

The rika many people here have used. It has become more of my base stone that I bring knives up to a small burr on. Some knives I go lower and when I need to do heavier work then I obviously go much lower. Rika has been one of my favorite stones, it cuts fast, builds a nice slurry, barely loads up, and is a pleasure to use. I recently used the geshin 4k and that stone is faster and works in a similar manner (a.k.a when rika dies I might have to get me a geshin 4k)

Next I went to the geshin 8k. This stones basically works the same as a rika 5k or geshin 4k but at a higher grit. And like those stones this one is a pleasure to use. Builds a slurry fast, cuts very fast, and has no loading at all.

The imanishi and jks 10k are very similar. I had to go back and forth multiple times to really get a feel for the final edge. As far as the feel of the stones goes they both load up and build little to no slurry. The imanishi loads up very fast, the jks builds at a slower rate. The both cut and work much slower then the 8k geshin but get the job done. I felt there was also better tactile feedback from the jks, but it is not a huge difference. Similarly with the final edge I liked the performance of of the jks slightly better. Both are well polished edges but I felt the jks cut crisper and would also bite into products slightly better.

I then went on a progression of 8k to 15k geshin. This was the technical sharpest of the bunch, had good but and would glide through products better then any of the other stones. The stone works slightly faster then the 10k stones, it does not build much of a slurry but slightly more than the 10k, it also barely loads. It does load a bit but not a ton. It has a similar smooth feel to the 10k but a much better tactical feel.

But my preferred edge was the 8k. Not the technical sharpest but i enjoyed the way it felt as it cut the best. It is a bit toothier. I have also stropped after all the stones to feel how those results vary but need to do more testing with that. I used the finished 8k edge at work for a bit now I am taking the 15k on the same knife to work to see how I like that. After I will repeat with the same sequence but finishing on a strop.

Nice, thanks for sharing that Matt.

Thanks. These observations agree well with what I remember. I'll be interested to see what your long term favorite edge is going to be. Sounds like I need to find myself a JKS...

I can send you mine if you want

thanks for the info, this is a good post that will answer a lot of questions in the future.

i wish you had a kitayama close by to compare to the others. maybe we could arrange a trade for a few weeks

also, wasn't it you i bought the arashiyama from?? that would be a good thing to test with these because it is technically an 8k right?

+ Reply to Thread