Quantcast
Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us! - Page 10
Page 10 of 186 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Heck, even I have a bottle of Kecap Manis! Doesn't everyone?
    I thought it was an Asian thing, more common to SEA then anywhere else. Did not expect you guys to use it.

Today I invited my parents and my Aunt and Uncle over for dinner. I made saute'd snowpeas, mashed potatoes with paprika and thyme, fresh baked bread and Thomas Keller's fried chicken. I brined the chicken according to his directions for about 8 hours and I have to say that this was the best fried chicken I have ever had. Enjoy the photos!

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Justin, I'm not really a good photographer though, I just try to the best I can with the things I have; no light boxes, no fancy equipment, no tripod, no hours spent post editing like some of my friends, haha! Tristan, I have a flickr, but I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to link it. Mel I am from Central Ohio, of which I have lived my entire life, but I am always trying to learn and I do like to read a lot! Kecap Manis happened to come across my path in college when I was trying to figure out various ways to make Phad See Ewe and other Chow Fun variants, and it seemed like it would be a fun thing to try. Here is the link to my flickr if anyone is interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/avishar/ , if someone wants to teach me how to embed it properly in high rez I would be happy to post more!

Pork Belly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I clicked the magnifying glass above the image, then right clicked on the image, selected copy image address, and viola!

Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Nice!! looks very asian style to me haha. Try it with steamed buns. The type you can get frozen in chinese supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Heck, even I have a bottle of Kecap Manis! Doesn't everyone?
    Right. My bad. I normally keep mine next to my fiddlehead ferns... (which look like something out of an aliens movie)

I'm suprised it is used for food commonly... thought it was very south east asian. Don't see the sauce being used much in western cooking.

Haha, I can get that one big, but its a huge step down in quality from the ones I have posted on Flickr, I was trying to see if they have a way of linking! I actually encountered Kecap Manis when I was trying to find a way to make Phad See Ewe when I was in college, and have kept it around since! The preparation is actually very "Asian" style in that it is almost red cooked first. Pork Belly and asian style preparations are excellent ways to get people to give it a shot for the first time in unbacon form!

yea i cant post pics from flickr i aint smart enough

anywho nice photos

Copper river salmon in noodle soup:

Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Damn Spike, that looks really tasty! Would you mind sharing your recipe for noodle soup?