Quantcast
Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us! - Page 120
Page 120 of 187 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1867

Thread: Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Great looking fajita Talal

Mighty fine!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Looks excellent, Talal.

How long did it take for your cast iron seasoning to be tough enough to handle an acidic marinade? I'm pretty sure if I cooked something like that in mine, the seasoning would get pretty dull, which I've taken to mean that I lost some seasoning during the cooking. I only have something like 10-20 uses on mine post-seasoning, though, so I know it's still a young seasoning.
    see ive got a few pans with varying levels of seasoning or "slippyness" as i like to call it. the #14 is my pan that use for acidic stuff. basically the one i abuse the most, the others im very strict with, one of them is an egg only pan even to maintain its integrity. its like an ice rink.
    Im not sure what kind of pan you are using but the ones before 1940 , especially by griswold are made at a standard which has not been replicated since. They can take a mean seasoning very quick. So basically to answer your question not long at all, i use coconut oil (high saturated fat content) and can obtain a nice seasoning within minutes of smoking should it ever be dull. i then let it cooldown with the oil in it and wipe very clean when it is cool. Ive tried other brands of pans before my griswold fever but they just are not the same. For that #14 knowing i was going to use it for some acidic stuff , i was sure to give it 2 more seasoning sessions.

Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    Last night - linguini with shrimp and a simple cheese sauce -

that is one delicious knife... i mean meal

and stereo pete....!! that just made me want a 2nd dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by Talal View Post
    see ive got a few pans with varying levels of seasoning or "slippyness" as i like to call it. the #14 is my pan that use for acidic stuff. basically the one i abuse the most, the others im very strict with, one of them is an egg only pan even to maintain its integrity. its like an ice rink.
    Im not sure what kind of pan you are using but the ones before 1940 , especially by griswold are made at a standard which has not been replicated since. They can take a mean seasoning very quick. So basically to answer your question not long at all, i use coconut oil (high saturated fat content) and can obtain a nice seasoning within minutes of smoking should it ever be dull. i then let it cooldown with the oil in it and wipe very clean when it is cool. Ive tried other brands of pans before my griswold fever but they just are not the same. For that #14 knowing i was going to use it for some acidic stuff , i was sure to give it 2 more seasoning sessions.
    Thanks for your reply. I'm using old Wagners--I forget how old now, but I remember looking them up and finding that they were pre-WWII--and some DeBuyer carbon pans. I like your idea with the multiple pans for different purposes. I think I'll reserve one of my pans (probably the DeBuyer crepe pan until I can get a nice vintage CI griddle) for just eggs and omelettes.

Pot luck ball game food - (good game Baltimore!!) - so no real meal deal there, but I did make a totally satisfying brunch for my wife and I.

Grits finished with sausage, ham, eggs, and cheese with some sour dough toast and sweet butter. I washed mine down with a glass of cranberry infused hard cider - delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    Pot luck ball game food - (good game Baltimore!!) - so no real meal deal there, but I did make a totally satisfying brunch for my wife and I.

Grits finished with sausage, ham, eggs, and cheese with some sour dough toast and sweet butter. I washed mine down with a glass of cranberry infused hard cider - delicious.

'
    almost looks like bunny ears

I roasted some pork loin, pan potatoes, field greens with Macintosh apple wedges.

Nothing special. Made some black bread with our oatmeal stout for table service tonight as an experiment. Went over pretty well

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck