Quantcast
Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us! - Page 14
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 180 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Not high and fancy but we took my daughter and her friends to the ranch and had a small cookout

Some homemade sushi the other day. Spicy tuna in tostitos shells. Eel rolls and salmon skin rolls with volcano topping. Other rolls made out of tuna and salmon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0197.jpg‎
Views:	51
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	878  

Best I made in a while was just a plate of sauteed local fish when my friends were here a few weeks ago, but I wasn't smart enough to take pics. Nothing fancy though, just good, fresh fish, good bread, a few veggies, roasted potatoes, lots of butter and lemon...

Bao, here is a question for you (and don't plan to lead this thread astray, we can also switch to PM): We have quite a few Vietnamese places out here that serve pho and other things - I just never know how to eat them. What do I do with all the stuff I get with my soup? Is there a 'Vietnamese dining for dummies' guide?

Stefan

Stefan

Mix it up. Put Thai basil, bean sprouts, siracha (if you like heat), hoisin, and go to town.

Or if you do not like the stuff, just don't add them.. I usually just add some cut chillies and coriander and that's it.

Easy enough. The little place I go to usually puts so much extra on the table that he just confused me Thanks,

Stefan

i have guests coming to dinner tonight, so i took the day off work to be able to bake a proper loaf of bread (i needed a day off anyway). pictured is the Auvergne crown from Daniel Leader's Local Breads. the sourdough starter i keep around is more San Francisco than France, but i started a Levain from scratch for this. it could have fermented and proofed a little more, which would have kept it from blowing up in the oven, but it was the first time i'd used this levain recipe, and you never know what it's going to be like until you bake it for the first time. i think it'll be good. it'll be going with a roast chicken, my favorite minimalist mac and cheese (i've tried dozens of recipes, and this very simple one has always come out on top), and a tomato and eggplant gratin. and, of course, some good Bordeaux (a young and plump 2005 Saint-╔milion, in this case).

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i have guests coming to dinner tonight, so i took the day off work to be able to bake a proper loaf of bread (i needed a day off anyway). pictured is the Auvergne crown from Daniel Leader's Local Breads. the sourdough starter i keep around is more San Francisco than France, but i started a Levain from scratch for this. it could have fermented and proofed a little more, which would have kept it from blowing up in the oven, but it was the first time i'd used this levain recipe, and you never know what it's going to be like until you bake it for the first time. i think it'll be good. it'll be going with a roast chicken, my favorite minimalist mac and cheese (i've tried dozens of recipes, and this very simple one has always come out on top), and a tomato and eggplant gratin. and, of course, some good Bordeaux (a young and plump 2005 Saint-╔milion, in this case).
    Care to share the recipe for the above mentioned mac and cheese? That loaf looks beautiful as well.

click on the "minimalistic mac and cheese", and it should be there.

Wow, I can't believe I missed the link. **DOH**

+ Reply to Thread