Quantcast
Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us! - Page 44
Page 44 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Droooooool!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by ColinCB View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys.

Side note: they're potato gnocchi.

They're surprisingly pretty light. I expected to make little bricks, but they seemed to have come out better than I thought. I think running the potato through a fine mesh sieve instead of a ricer/mill really helped make them light with a nice texture.
    The great trick I learned about making pillowy potato gnocchi is baking rather than boiling your potatoes. That way they have less moisture and require less flour to bind them. Therefore, you don't have to knead the dough as much. This makes for a lighter gnocchi.

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    The great trick I learned about making pillowy potato gnocchi is baking rather than boiling your potatoes. That way they have less moisture and require less flour to bind them. Therefore, you don't have to knead the dough as much. This makes for a lighter gnocchi.
    Nona used a bed of kosher salt to lay the taters on- sucked even more moisture out.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post

K-Fed made some pork tacos a couple of pages back and it inspired me to do the same. I marinated the pork in homemade orange juice, onion powder, cumin, smoked paprika, white vinegar and olive oil. Roasted at 225 for 12 hours and it came out absolutely beautiful. Topped the tacos with red onion and habanero salsa, queso fresco, lime juice and cilantro. I have to admit, every once in a while I surprise myself and this was one of those moments.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

@ AFKitchenknivesguy: Looks awesome. I've struggled with brisket so far, but I also haven't been able to find a whole packer to put in the smoker. Is that just the flat or didyou get a WP?

@ Stereo.Pete: Love the tacos. Props =). Could easily see myself with the porcine primal poster tattooed somewhere. Love slow roasted/ smoked pork. I ended up using the leftovers for a southeast asian inspired soup that turned out pretty darn good.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    K-Fed, I really think you do need a whole packer to get a good brisket, without having professional gear and being well experienced. I am neither of the above. That was a 15lb whole packer, I believe, trimmed of all fat, salted and peppered for 36 hours, left to sit out for 3 hours, then smoked at 230 (temp well controlled) for 15 hours. The great thing about a BGE is that it retains moisture so well. Additionally, I put a pan of water in under the briskit on the plate setter to help with the moisture. I didn't open it for 12 hours as well. Also, I took advise from peeps here and put all my big charcoal on the bottom, with mesquite/cherry mixed in; this helps to have a continuous and light smoke for the entire cook. With all that said, brisket is a B**** but very rewarding when it comes out great.

Jason
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    @ AFKitchenknivesguy: Looks awesome. I've struggled with brisket so far, but I also haven't been able to find a whole packer to put in the smoker. Is that just the flat or didyou get a WP?

@ Stereo.Pete: Love the tacos. Props =). Could easily see myself with the porcine primal poster tattooed somewhere. Love slow roasted/ smoked pork. I ended up using the leftovers for a southeast asian inspired soup that turned out pretty darn good.
    K-Fed, any chance we could get a recipe of the soup?
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Chicken Ballentine. Boneless stuffed with cheese and spinach.