Quantcast
Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us! - Page 49
Page 49 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Mucho Bucho, you just one-upped Jim by epic proportions, thanks for sharing.
    Ha...one upped? one hundred upped! Nice looking tubed meat indeed!

I suspect that this is the start of a beautiful string of posts.

Forgot to mention what your looking at

Here is a shot of of my chamber with about 200 pounds of meat in it.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...how-us!/page48

Top:

Hungarian sausage and pancetta (age 2 months)

From Left to right and front to back:

Smoked Pastrami made from the deckle of the brisket (9 pounds, 1 month of age)

Random cured sausages (4 months of age)

Red sausage in front is is Portuguese Linguica (chourice) Smoked, aged 2 months

Italian sliced Beef eye roast, smoked 2 months of age

Behind that is a dry-cured non-smoked 5 pound pork jowl off a 500 pound hog aged 4 months

8 pound smoked back-belly bacon with 3 months of age.

Sausages to the right are smoked slim-jims stuffed into 6mm sheep casings with 2 months of cure. (my little daughters favorite)

There are some other random cuts in the back too.

Steak with a pan reduction sauce (recipe from BDL's "Cook Food Good" blog), caramelized onions with fresh thyme over puff pastry, and cherry tomatoes sauteed with fresh basil and olive oil. Plating and photography skills are still a work in progress, but you get the idea.

Edit: still learning to properly post photos here too (not sure why I now have a large image and an attached thumbnail image (new Photobucket account).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks really nice Johnny!

Mucho Bucho, did you modify your aging refrigerator in some way?

I did, I converted an old refrigerator into a proper curing chamber. I use a PID to adjust the temperature and have an internal humidifier with air circulation. Its a design that can be found on the web. I think its from The Sausage Maker. Its fun but these days i'm more into sous vide, chamber vacuuming and tumble vacuuming. I've got 3 premium chicken friers rotating as we speak. Going to debone them an turn them into a gumbo for tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    I did, I converted an old refrigerator into a proper curing chamber. I use a PID to adjust the temperature and have an internal humidifier with air circulation. Its a design that can be found on the web. I think its from The Sausage Maker. Its fun but these days i'm more into sous vide, chamber vacuuming and tumble vacuuming. I've got 3 premium chicken friers rotating as we speak. Going to debone them an turn them into a gumbo for tomorrow night.
    Nice! Have you done any of the fermented sausages?

Everything in my chamber is either curing or cured. No fresh sausages in there

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I would love to get into curing sausage, though I'm a little intimidated dealing with bacteria and mold. Very impressive.
    Jason

All that sausage talk definitely awakens the German in me, I wish I could do some of that.

Stefan

jason, funny because you do have to take a leap of faith. I had some Italian Salami get so damy green and fuzzy, I could not keep it. then after i spoke with experience sausage chefs, the sausage was doing exactly what it was supposed to do, and I threw out five pounds of precious pasture riased pork, let alone the week it took me to make it. Remember, dispite popular belief our stomachs are designed to eat rotten meat.