Quantcast
Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us! - Page 66
Page 66 of 187 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

That looks absolutely delicious Pete! Time to make something to eat.

Pork Belly - Good and Bad.

So when my butcher has fresh pork belly, I pretty much buy it every time, promising to try something different. Inevitably, I just cure it and smoke it into bacon. This week I actually tried something different. I brined it in a wet brine, then roasted it - high heat for an hour then very low for several hours, basting it along the way. I compressed it overnight in the fridge like everyone seems to advise, then tried a couple of ideas.

The first was was crisping it by frying it with a dust of Wondra, then serving it over pureed butternut squash, some brussels leaves and a pork jus that I sweetened with maple. Everyone liked this, including my kids who actually ate the brussels leaves...forgetting that they were once part of an actual brussels sprout.

Name:  IMG_2732.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  12.7 KB

My second idea, if you can call it that, was 'bacon and eggs'. I soft cooked an egg in a brioche round, served it with warmed slices of pork belly, a potato croquette and the same sweetened pork jus. The taste was fine - but it looked blah - very monocromatic. In fact when my daughter asked for ketchup I added it to the plate just to have some color. Wouldn't do this again.

Name:  IMG_2759.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  16.8 KB

What a great post. Very nice.

Namaxy,

I love both of those dishes, that egg in the brioche looks like it was made in heaven! For the second dish some a nice salad of either arugula, pea sprouts or some sort of micro-greens with an acidic dressing would liven that plate up big time, maybe smack dab in the center.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

My family bought and cooked many treats for Father's Day yesterday, but none finer than these HUGE ribeyes my wife had me grill. Here they are on a large BGE....

Name:  IMG_2766.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  25.9 KB

Holy macaroni! Those are enormous! You really have that grill down there, don't 'cha?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Very nice ribeyes! Makes my father's day blue cheese filets look tiny. Your posts are always inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Holy macaroni! Those are enormous! You really have that grill down there, don't 'cha?
    Not sure Spike. My BGE is all stock and the grill sits right on the ceramic fire ring - just as they assembled it. I know lot's of folks use aftermaket modified table setters and grill set ups, but I haven't dabbled yet. I'm interested in your thoughts, as the BGE occupies a tenuous spot on my patio...I still prefer the Cajun grill for charcoal grilling, and the wood fired oven for roasting. But I'm trying to like it and giving it time...

Maybe it's the angle of the picture, my grill sits 3 inches below the rim of the egg, it looks like yours is lower. Optical illusion?
    How hot did you get it before you started cooking?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Maybe it's the angle of the picture, my grill sits 3 inches below the rim of the egg, it looks like yours is lower. Optical illusion?
    How hot did you get it before you started cooking?
    Yeah, I thought they looked pretty low compared to mine as well, must be an optical illusion.

But those ribeyes must be MASSIVE because when I saw the pic I thought, "Man, I really need a medium BGE..." I was surprised to see those are in a large!