Page 75 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    That looks absolutely delicious Peter!

Details please.
    Well Johnny,

The piece of meat, which I hate to admit was a london boil from Walmart's new selection of "premium" meats. To be honest, I will not be buying their premium meat again. Nothing special with the frites except they were salted and sprinkled with Old Bay. The greens on top of the steak were "musin" or something like that, it came with our first CSA basket. It has the texture of Frisee and a peppery flavor like that of arugula. The small rings were another gift from our CSA basket, they are the tops of "walking onions" finely diced and fried in butter. I was trying to see if they would "melt" down like leeks but they just crisped up. All in all it was pretty good but the biggest gap in the meal was the quality of the meat.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Thanks Pete.

You may have inspired me to subscribe to a local farm. I think it would be fun to try to incorporate new (and super fresh) ingredients into my cooking.

Great looking plate, though I'm sorry the meat wasn't all that it was cracked it up to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Firecracker Pastrami today.

Hey, look who showed up here.

I've been eating like a pig for the last several days, but nothing that looked as good as that.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    something wrong with pics
    Yes...just noticed that. Loaded them the usual way....or so I thought....cleary user error on my end

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Hey, look who showed up here.

I've been eating like a pig for the last several days, but nothing that looked as good as that.
    Haha... I have a bucket of those pickles for you when I see you next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Haha... I have a bucket of those pickles for you when I see you next week!
    I almost fainted when I saw we got a response from Scotto.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

Having fun with aji-kiri.

Beautiful, but I must be part of the 1% of the world that still prefers my fish grilled.

Schanop,

Beautiful work on those fish, I have a couple of questions for you.

1. Is that Mackerel?
    2. Did you use freshly grated wasabi?
    3. What are the white finely cut strips?
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Hi Pete,

it is not Mackerel (Saba). In Australia the fish is called yellow tail (scud) which I think is very similar to Japanese Aji and/or Horse Mackerel.

Freshly grated wasabi is a bit expensive around here, minimum order is about four heads, so not viable for home use. I use freeze dry natural wasabi powder instead. It works pretty much the same way as the one with horse radish mixed in -- a couple of cold drops of water and good to go, but it tastes much milder and sweeter.

However, what you saw in the picture is minced spring onion (your scallion) and ginger, a typical accompaniment to Horse Mackerel sashimi, sushi, and tataki.

White mound is daikon or big white radish. It is of a Chinese/Korean variety today. Sometimes, we can get a hold of the Japanese ones sold directly by the farmers.

And Tristan, grilled horse mackerel is very tasty too. It's a bit too cold to grill outside nowadays, not a very good option for the moment.