Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something you've been meaning to try?

Something you've been meaning to try?

What's some ingredient you've been meaning to buy or try out, but haven't...

hominy grits
    facing heaven pepper (just because the name is pretty cool)
    prickly pear
    durian
    natto
    shio koji
    tempeh
    seal

or maybe a particular dish or preparation?

funazushi even though it will probably destroy my poor gaikokujin stomach
    birds nest soup
    Blue skies over bad lands

Dagad Phool/Kalpasi - never found it available around here....

Trehalose sugar - that just might mean take-to-work Gimbap/Maki if it does what I think it does... need to squeeze some in SOME amazon order...

Gosari - seems to be utterly unavailable here... well, the west considers it somewhat dangerous... fiddleheads, same matter ...

Blue tea (the butterfly pea based stuff)

Yuzu (juice is available but expensive)

Chinese dried watercress (have a package but never used)

All the molecular cuisine stuff....

Lye (to make ramen or pretzels)

Odd stuff that I did try: Cha Om (like), bitter melon (ermmmm... depends), various sufu/furu types (liked most), old school synthetic banana flavour (isoamyl acetate - never be worried about not finding that bottle no matter how well sealed )

Quote Originally Posted by LifeByA1000Cuts View Post
    Dagad Phool/Kalpasi - never found it available around here....

Trehalose sugar - that just might mean take-to-work Gimbap/Maki if it does what I think it does... need to squeeze some in SOME amazon order...

Gosari - seems to be utterly unavailable here... well, the west considers it somewhat dangerous... fiddleheads, same matter ...

Blue tea (the butterfly pea based stuff)

Yuzu (juice is available but expensive)

Chinese dried watercress (have a package but never used)

All the molecular cuisine stuff....

Lye (to make ramen or pretzels)

Odd stuff that I did try: Cha Om (like), bitter melon (ermmmm... depends), various sufu/furu types (liked most), old school synthetic banana flavour (isoamyl acetate - never be worried about not finding that bottle no matter how well sealed )

I bought my first container of food grade lye last week. I've found a german lady who locally bakes pretzels fresh daily, so I contacted her and she's been supplying me with laugenbroetchen. Only trouble is, it costs me $1 per bun. It's totally worth it, unless I can get them dialed in myself. I know one thing, I can't live without REAL German pretzel buns in my life. Neither can my Serbian neighbors, ever since I brought a bag over to them to try.

As dumb and simple as it sounds, my winter project that I haven't even tried to tackle yet, is legit crispy fried chicken. Southern USA style.

I'm big on smoking and I've got my brisket, pork, and chicken down pat on the smoker.

I need a rock solid, finger lickin' fried chicken recipe to visit once or twice a winter, when it gets real cold out and the family needs a pick-me-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilsports View Post
    As dumb and simple as it sounds, my winter project that I haven't even tried to tackle yet, is legit crispy fried chicken. Southern USA style.

I'm big on smoking and I've got my brisket, pork, and chicken down pat on the smoker.

I need a rock solid, finger lickin' fried chicken recipe to visit once or twice a winter, when it gets real cold out and the family needs a pick-me-up.
    This... i have done a couple of batches (can't do it too often) and mucked up the brine and still playing around.

Black tri tip (making, not eating, as I've done that before....

Mu shu pork (making)

Tea soaked buttermilk fried chicken (making)

Grand cru red burgundy (drinking)

Italian and or Spanish style ham (making)

Things I've procrastinated on trying to make: definitely charcuterie - something with a whole muscle first, like bresaola or "Jewish ham" (salt cured duck or goose breast).

Authentic Oaxacan mole - I know where to get the peppers, just haven't gotten around to it.

For all the expensive food I've eaten over the years, it just came to me that I've never had real sturgeon caviar. Gotta do that next time I'm at Kokkeriet I think.

I've also never had a real gumbo.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Mole, or smoking anything... now you mention two pie in the sky projects more...

Xiaolongbao (make)
    Pig ears (make)
    Soba noodle (make)
    Roast goose (make)
    Whole hog (make)
    Prosciutto (make)
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.