Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home use pressure cooker

Home use pressure cooker

We are making some chicken stock. In the past we used to borrow my parents pressure cooker. But maybe it's time to get our own. Any recommendations for home use? We will use it mainly for stock.

I have a WMF Perfect Plus pressure cooker and I really like it a lot.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Rami, I've had four or five PC over the years. I love the build and quality of the Kuhn Rikon (hotel/professional) level stuff but the Duromatic I have always leaks, either water or steam as there are so many safety contraptions to the lid. I've replaced gaskets, springs, valves, safety valves... PIA. When she's running its a dream but I can't say It hasn't failed me before. I also have the entry level Fagor. Its ok, even though its larger than my KR, the Fagor was 1/3 of the price. I've heard good things about WMF but have never used one.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    I have a WMF Perfect Plus pressure cooker and I really like it a lot.
    Same here. I bought a set of 2 bases, 8.5 & 4.5 qt and a single lid so I have some options for sizing. (I then went and bought a third, 6.5 qt, off of ebay with another lid, so now I can cook two things at once and have a choice of 3 sizes)

The only complaint I have is the diameter isn't that big so it's not easy to brown things before cooking. I usually use a larger diameter pan or dutch oven first.

I have used an affordable Fagor without issues for a few years now. Got an Instant Pot for Christmas and haven't used the Fagor since, but for dark searing the Fagor n the stove top is certainly the better option. My Mom has used WMF and Krups in Germany all her life, both lasting a very long time.

Stefan

I was on this road before last year. Options are more limited here in Australia. On higher end, there are some Khun Rikon on eBay from Australia based seller. This guy http://stores.ebay.com.au/leoncrazyclassic/ seems to have the best price so far. Fissler is widely available, prices at http://www.pressurecooker.com.au is normal market price. Sometimes, there are special price which bring 6l & 8l vitavit comfort model down to about 300s from 400s. WMF Perfect Plus looks pretty good, but it seems stock has run out. Last clearance sale, I saw them down to low 200s.

For home use I considered 8l model so that I could do quite a few thing with it and ended up with Fissler vitavit comfort 8l. It has a wider based compared with most other pressure cooker of the same size from other brand, with exception perhaps, some Kuhn Rikon models. Wider based means browning food is a bit more comfortable compared with narrower models.

Around 300s mark at the moment, I would look at http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kuhn-Riko...-/322089584354

If you want to go a bit cheaper, I think Silit 6l around low 200s is a good choice.

Home use pressure cooker

Thanks Schanop.

What do everyone think of

WMF - Perfect 18/10 Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker 6.5Ltr (Made in Germany)

http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/...4253?category=

Vs the SILIT?

Just Curious what people think of using a PC to cook stock. I think a stock benefits from slight reduction, and most PC destined ingredients need the pressure to penetrate with moisture, while ?stock ingredients are meant to release moisture

IMO PC☹️STOCK
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Our pressure cooker is over 50 years old and still works perfectly - it's the old stainless steel cone with a weighted pressure seal that allows the steam to escape at four different pressure levels (the old jiggle kind). It's simple and pretty fool proof and it even has a blow out valve as a secondary precaution.