Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Recipe Request - What lets me use my knives for lots of cutting

Recipe Request - What lets me use my knives for lots of cutting

Home Cook here. What recipes do the real cooks know to require a little too much cutting?

I really enjoy using my knives, but most recipes seem like they're over before they begin.

Here are some of my current favorites, but I'm open to new ideas, especially if they have some unique/fancy presentation.

Thanks in advance!

Administrator
    12 qt Cambro of mire poix or trinity. Then it's time for soup, gumbo, or whowever. And you'll know the knife like you've slept with it.

Older and wider..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    12 qt Cambro of mire poix or trinity. Then it's time for soup, gumbo, or whowever. And you'll know the knife like you've slept with it.
    I like making paella (remember the sofrito), confit biyaldi (slicing for the most part), ratatouille (slice/chop/mince), salsa (lots and lots of cutting if you want) and/or french onion soup to zen with my knives especially when the veggies are good.

I tried to think of the meals I make as a home cook with the most knife action. Obviously we don't get anywhere near what pro kitchens deal with.

For vegetables I guess it's vegetarian chili. Always a fairly large batch, so we can freeze extra. Lots of sliced and chopped green and red bell pepper, carrots, celery, along with the usual tomatoes, garlic, onions, and chili peppers. Bulghur wheat to replace the meat (we're not vegetarians, and also do the meat version, this is just fun for something a little lighter). That's the recipe where my nakiri gets the most action, practically an all-afternoon project.

For meat, it's trimming and slicing up meat for the grinder -- a big pork shoulder, or several chuck steaks and sirloin steaks. I use a long 190mm petty knife for that. Trimming excess fat and slicing into strips is a lot of work for the amount of grinding I like to do in one batch.

Those are the two tasks that guarantee I'll be stropping or sharpening the knives before taking it on.

if i make two weeks of dog food and fill the freezer that's a few hours of veg prep there depending. if you have a pet ask your vet about making their food, will give you lots to chop.

Or make an ungodly amount of onion soup and freeze some. i can't imagine any other scenario at home i'd get close to a 12 qt cambro aside from pet food or onion soup for years. It is fun to prep that much veg though occasionally if you can find the excuse. I like Paraffin's suggestion of portioning/trimming meat.

salsa
    ragout
    ratatouille

Chinese food. We don’t use knives at the table. Everything is prepped and cooked to be essentially “bite sized”

Zucchini canneloni filled with brunoise ratatouille. Customers have chosen it for a 300-400pax function next month. It's alt drop but still gonna be painful to prep. Ugh!

Kinpira gobo. That’ll give ya a challenge.

“Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter