Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sugar

sugar

i've always been sorta scared with sugar. cooking with it.

i think i saw my parent's friend Mrs Thompson, burn herself making peanut brittle..and it scarred her literally, and me mentally. i think i was six.

i watch my friend Tina make caramel sauce and it looks scary. like napalm.

today, i took a swing at it. i have some vanilla ice cream, and it needs caramel sauce...i used a big pot and a long whisk..and yes, i had welding gloves on. feeling triumphant..i even put a couple cans of sweetened condense milk into simmering water for several hours..in about 9 minutes, i hit the four hour mark and i will pull them. tomorrow? dulce de leche!!

Making angel hair with sugar is my favorite garnish. Little nest and a quenelle of vanilla hagendaz, 1/2 tsb aged balsamic and a strawberry flower and im in heaven.

Glad you overcame your fear. It really isn't much worse then getting hot grease splattered on you or touching your arm against a 425 degree oven rack. If you get any hot sugar one you, just get it off as quick as you can to limit the ultimate doneness of your flesh (i.e., rare is probably preferable then medium-well).

Try making some brittle next, to overcome that last hurdle.

So many carbon-carbon bonds in a gummy bear:

Sugar is fun but scary as f*** when hot. In every different temperature it acts diffirently and you can do crazy stuff with it. I have a book all about sugars

agreed. sugar is scary to cook with. you're not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by cjans View Post
    agreed. sugar is scary to cook with. you're not the only one.
    Hmmm, while some of the many posts you have made contain useful info, the ones like this imply you are post-farming.

And I was thinking this was the least banal of them all. But then sugar and roux exist to burn me.
    Josh is right.

Sugar is napalm, I'm mildly scared by it but I give it the proper respect it deserves. But as a pro EVERYTHING is out to burn or cut you in the kitchen, even extremely cold or surprisingly blunt yet sharp? things. You just live with it. I can imagine a home cook being a bit terrified by sugar. For me, flat top grill scrape schmegma is the ultimate napalm in the kitchen...

Someone buy glucose and tell us how much better it is than sucrose
    "The self-seeking man who is looking after his personal comforts and leading a lazy life- there is no room for him even in hell" - Narendranath Dutta