Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: natural sourdough starter questions

natural sourdough starter questions

Working on my first sourdough starters. I've been using the 'natural' method (no added yeast) and things have progressed rather quickly. I have whole wheat, rye and white sours started and am currently in day 4. My question is about timing of adding the next round of flour/water; seems as if I am supposed to wait until tomorrow to feed these (24 hrs would be 10am tomorrow) and the sour has already risen and started to fall back down. Should I go ahead and feed these after they rise and fall or should I wait until the estimated time is up?

L-R is white, rye and whole wheat...as you can tell the white has already began to collapse a bit

once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

As a short follow-up i have read in a few places where people discard a large portion of the starter every day and add to it. I have not discarded any (following the recipe) and it seems to be growing and collapsing quicker than I thought it should.

My assumption is that the time frame should relate more to appearance and smell than time? Is harm done to the sour by letting it rise and collapse fully so quickly: in other words am I over feeding the sour to begin with and not allowing it to develop as slowly as it should?
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

That's looking good, Jim. I am quite a few months in, but still newbie myself. There are a few posts that people advocate feeding starter two or three times a day, for a day or two, before making levain to give starter full strength of activity. During maintenance when not baking, perhaps, once a day.

When I first started, I fed it once a day for two weeks. Then I started keeping the starter in the fridge, and take it out a couple of days before baking. Then I tried to feed it more than once a day to get it fully alive again before making levain.

Thanks so much Chanop! Curious if you were just adding flour/water at each feeding or removing a bit before each addition?

The rye has begun to collapse now as well so guessing I'll wait until the wheat begins to do the same and then give them all a nice feeding before bedtime tonight. I'm trying to push it a bit so as to be able to try a loaf this weekend...too soon for good bread but I can't wait to give it a go.

Ah, ok, Jim. The recipe I follow is 1 part old starter, 1 part flour, and 1 part water by weight. That means discarding 66% of old starter before adding new flour. I keep discarded starter in the fridge and make sourdough pancake or other by product every now and then.

Perfect, thanks and can't wait to try the pancakes--sounds like a fun way to dispose of product!

Pancakes rocked! Extremely light and delicious. Not so pretty but that's how it goes.

First sourdough loaf was good, second one (in pic) was slightly underdone. Had a problem making the recipe as my scale batteries died while adding flour. Since I'd never done one of these before I wasn't quite sure of the texture I was looking for so beleive it wound up with a bit too much flour but it was still quite good. I went through an extremely slow proof and the sour flavor was very well developed for a first go. Cooked it a bit early though so rise wasn't exceptional. Made a few other mistakes along the way as well so have quite a bit to learn.

Nice looking bread! I only use white sourdough starter but I feed mine and keep it in the fridge. It's best fed once a week but I've let that run out to three weeks before feeding it again with no issues.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Very cool, Im starting to read up and make bread. Do you have any rec's on what to read? Mainly about that sour starter and bige and polish as well. Does anybody use citric acid to slow down the growth?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    Nice looking bread! I only use white sourdough starter but I feed mine and keep it in the fridge. It's best fed once a week but I've let that run out to three weeks before feeding it again with no issues.
    Thanks Dave, it is delicious but I left plenty of room for improvement. For the starter, I still have mine refrigerated but am experimenting with drying the active starter to see how quickly it will come back...figure it would be easier for me to keep up with and that way I can have 5-6 different types of starters without the need for constant feeding. I plan on keeping at least one or two up 'live' so I can have the excess for pancakes.

Quote Originally Posted by DDPslice View Post
    Very cool, Im starting to read up and make bread. Do you have any rec's on what to read? Mainly about that sour starter and bige and polish as well. Does anybody use citric acid to slow down the growth?
    Slice, I am such a beginner that can't help too much, but will say that I have found the following websites most useful:

sourdough.com
    thefreshloaf.com
    breadtopia.com
    theperfectloaf.com
    weekendbakery.com (bread-baking-glossary)
    King Arthur website has some useful information as well.

I've been referencing a home baking book from CIA and Secrets of a Jewish Baker...between the two, I have had more information that I probably need.

As to citric acid, I understand it to be used for 'cheating' on getting the sour flavoring(?)...I slowed the growth by letting it proof at each stage in the refrigerator. My understanding is that the slower the proofs at each stage, the more of the correct acid (acetic) is naturally produced in higher amounts vs lactic acid (which comes about during quicker proofs). My bread is pretty sour (more than I thought/in a good way) considering it is a first run with the starter.

For the starter, I found a recipe that used unsweetened pineapple juice and flour the first 2 days and then switched to water and flour from there...starter took off very easily with all 3 different types of flour. They have stayed very much alive (though not very active) in the refrigerator. Will be testing the current rye sour tomorrow making 9 grain pancakes. Only thing I did differently was to cover the jars with a coffee filter as opposed to a lid...I was counting on letting in a bit of extra yeasts floating around my place (I make kefir as well).