Quantcast
Rice cooker questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rice cooker questions

Rice cooker questions

The bowl of my faithful 16 year old Panasonic rice cooker has sprung a pinhole leak. Looking around I've read that Zojirushi and Tiger are the superior brands and that the new (IH) induction heating ones are fantastic.

To anyone who has one of the new IH ricecookers I'd like to ask what's the difference in terms of the cooked rice. What's the texture of the rice like? How are the IH ones better?

And does it take much longer to cook compared to the old generation rice cookers?

Thanks.

Buffalo

It's cook pot is stainless. Takes about 45min to one hour to cook, due to warming the rice, I think. Taste better compare to inexpensive rice cooker. Now they having $50 off with free cookbook and cleaver. If you buy this, remember to add a stainless steam rack.

We finally had to retire our old rice cooker too. Went for the Tiger JKP-H. If anything, it's faster than the old one & way more versatile. And it does cook rice better.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Zojirushi models consistently rated best, but if you want a far less expensive one without all the bells and whistles, Aroma is evidently worth considering:
    http://www.consumersearch.com/rice-c...oker-arc-150sb

It's gotta be a Zo. The higher end ones come in at two price points, the fuzzy logic at under 200 and the induction in the (list price) 400 range.

I have this fuzzy logic model: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-Z...cookers+zcc-18 and have been trying to wear it out for four years. I like.

I also have occasion to use the 10 cup induction model a few times each month, usually making 3 full pots back to back. http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NP-H...+cooker+10+cup Like it a lot too.

Of the two I don't see a discernible difference in process or results. My experience is limited to rice, white, sushi, brown/red/black and mixed. Both machines have other capabilities, oatmeal, grits, risotto(???) but I've not been there. I would keep the 100+ bucks difference in my pocket an go with the fuzzy logic.

No experience with Tiger.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

i think mine is a panasonic. i use it every darn day. i'll be honest, i've used pretty much all of them. zoj, tiger..all of them.

they are now just loaded with buttons. brown rice, porridge,...and seriously..*** is fuzzy logic? my routine. wash rice, fill with water to my first knuckle, put into cooker, hit MENU..choose, QUICK COOK..hit ON. 25 minutes later..done.

i do the regular method sometimes when i know all my other cooking is gonna take prep time. it does that warming thing, and take more than an hour. honestly, it all taste pretty much the same.

as a bonifide chinese person, grown up eating rice, and will die eating rice..i wouldnt spend mega money on a rice cooker. keep it under $100. they get you with the non-replaceable cooking bowls anyways.

Not to stir it up, but why a rice cooker? I do it in a pot nearly every day. If you need it to be foolproof you can put it in the oven.
    What makes me question is every Asian cook I've worked with has one at home, but none of the Cajuns do. Is it just a cultural thing based on something like the number of burners on an average home stove, or does it really make that much better rice?

+1 on the Zo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardeau View Post
    Not to stir it up, but why a rice cooker? I do it in a pot nearly every day. If you need it to be foolproof you can put it in the oven.
    What makes me question is every Asian cook I've worked with has one at home, but none of the Cajuns do. Is it just a cultural thing based on something like the number of burners on an average home stove, or does it really make that much better rice?
    Im my opinion, it is better. I've been using one for the last year, and I really think that it really makes a difference.

+ Reply to Thread