Thread: Grill Pan or Indoor Electric Grill?

Grill Pan or Indoor Electric Grill?

I am looking to replace my 12" Staub grill pan. I don't like using it on my induction cooktop as it is too heavy to use directly on the glass and for some reason it burns the paper towel I place under the pan when I cook (none of my other pans do this)...maybe the enamel finish is dirty?

Anyways, I was trying to find an induction compatible pan that is about the same size and all I found (that I could easily buy anyway) was the Berndes Vario-Click Induction 30cm grill pan for $170. I told myself I would only buy Demeyere 7 ply for this cooktop after sampling lesser (but still quite expensive) brands Fissler, Woll, Berndes, and Swiss Diamond. I don't know what the heck is happening to Demeyere, their product line seems to be shrinking and shrinking....even on European websites it's getting harder to fine.

I am now considering indoor electric grills. I am thinking of going with a Philips infrared smokeless grill, or a standard electric grill from Zojirushi, or a Cuisinart Griddler Elite. I have never used an indoor electric grill...how do they compare to a grill pan? Has anyone used the Philips infrared grill? I would like something that is easy to clean.

Administrator
    I have that same Staub grill pan. Takes 3 people to move it. Ha! I've no problem using it on a glass cooktop or stand alone induction hob but use it primarily for making grill marks on veg.

I've found that with the exception of the pretty grill marks, that pan searing is pan searing. A de Buyer Mineral B or cast iron is my pan of choice for searing proteins inside. The non-sticks you mention will inherently not sear very well.

Also in my repertoire of stuff that I don't use is a Cuisinart electric griddle. As Daddy used to say "It will do everything a little bit but nothing worth a sh!t."

Older and wider..

I bought this about a month ago and let me just say Crackling Rose makes me smile....

I bought it for Yakitori but any meat will do.

https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-casse.../dp/B00U4XWTO8

Super conservative with the gas and puts out way more heat than a gas grill. Most of the time I'll SV the meat, wings... then pop them on the Barbie and within seconds, smoke and that primal smell of charring roasted meat.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I decided to try the Philips Infrared grill since Sur La Table lets you return it after 60 days even if you have used it. I have mineral b pan (or the Mauviel equivalent of the De Buyer anyway) and I didn't season it properly...probably should throw it out. I would pay an extra $75 if they could make one that was properly pre seasoned because they do make really nice pans, including grill pans like this:

Administrator
    Seasoning a pan is truly if you don't get it right the first time..... evolution. Scrub it clean and try again. Many threads on here about doing it right - most involve a lot of repetition and thin layers of oil. Can't be too many, can't be too thin.

Pls report back on the infared.
    Older and wider..

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    I bought this about a month ago and let me just say Crackling Rose makes me smile....

I bought it for Yakitori but any meat will do.

https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-casse.../dp/B00U4XWTO8

Super conservative with the gas and puts out way more heat than a gas grill. Most of the time I'll SV the meat, wings... then pop them on the Barbie and within seconds, smoke and that primal smell of charring roasted meat.
    Leave it to you Dennis, brilliant solution. You talked me in to one!

Administrator
    Dennis costs me money every time he posts on here.....
    Older and wider..

Dennis is a smart man.

Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.