Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What ya eating lately...

What ya eating lately...

FOOD
    What are you eating today
    What makes your tum tum say yum
    Sweet Sour Salty Bitter Umami

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I wanted to start a thread about food and taste. I've been actively and passionately cooking for most of my life and I find food and all its ramifications endlessly fascinating and creatively satisfying. I'm always seeking new ingredients, techniques and flavors. I discover new things daily and wanted to post a thread on what others have discovered in their food journey?

Share what you discovered today. What you're eating, what you just discovered that just blowing your mind and can't get enough of...

Shoyu ramen at Slurp in Copenhagen has had me wanting to try and recreate it at home.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Roasted Greek lemon chicken with perfectly browned golden potato wedges. I normally do not like lemon in my cooked foods, but this ticks all my flavor boxes (except sweet which I'm ok with).

Love colder weather comfort food!
    Oh wait, you mean we can customize our signatures?

Milk braised pork belly w/paprika new potatoes and bay leaf. Lately I've been trying to simplify my dishes. To elevate the flavor and texture of a few choice ingredients presented irresistibly.

1.)Pressure cook a salted/seasoned 3 LBS skin-less pork belly in chix broth and parsley stems (30 min). Press and cool.
    2.) Cut into three squares brown edges in med-hot pan
    3.) Dump fat, add whole milk 1/2 up the side of pork, add new potatoes, dust them with salt, pepper, paprika and add a few fresh bay leaves. Cover with parchment, cook 350 for 60 min. Remove to stove top, reduce pan sauce as desired. Serve along side med. dice pickled beets.

You could really taste the bay leaf in the cream sauce. The paprika did well to give it a nice red almost saffron color with a hint of smokey pepperiness. The milk braised an already tender pork belly gave a nice flavor contrast to the sauce and really amped up the porkyness of the meat.

I know, I know. No pics so this never happened. It was good though.

I'm not sure reading this thread at work is a good idea. The puddle of drool on my desk is endangering my workpapers.
    Oh wait, you mean we can customize our signatures?

homemade pita (thanks to kostantinos) and just purchased up a used smoker yesterday so I can try out his half smoke recipe.

Probably not quite in the spirit of this thread, but I will mention Supermoon Bakehouse because it recently opened in NYC and I recently discovered it just outside my hotel a couple of weeks ago at lower Eastside. It is a very clean layout storefront that displays what they have on a long pink granite counter, and behind a tall glass wall are the pastry chefs who craft filled crescents, donuts, and cruffins. The taste of these artisan pastries blew my mind. I have never ate a filled donut that tasted as good as these do. I don't know what they use to fill them, but it is pure magic.

Check out the yelp page for more photos, and I recommend that you make a diversion to Rivington and Essex next time you are in NYC.

Thanks for a positive thread Dennis, makes me smile.

As for me, I'm slowly starting to discover some of the excellent restaurants in my new state (Maine) and its been amazing.

As far as cooking I'm looking forward to trying Sebastian's creme fraiche dumplings.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

pink tacos