Thread: Water Circulator custard for Pu-erh Tea Ice Cream

Water Circulator custard for Pu-erh Tea Ice Cream

Hey guys, TLDR: what temperature is good to bath the custard, i was thinking 60-63

The reason I am doing low temp is because I want to infuse the cream with this specific type of tea.

Problem 1: I don't have cream but I do have a really high fat milk (min 3% fat)

Problem 2: This milk is raw! Completely! oh baby, sweet deliciousness, very yellow but very susceptible to microbial growth.

Problems 3: Pu-erh is Extremely microbial! I should probably pasteurize the milk but I don't want to at all because the milk is very clean and well processed. I really feel like I sound like a consumer when I say this, but I've drank it and I haven't turned into anything. yet.

Problem 4: How long to cook the custard in the bath? Google says @145 should be 30 minutes to pasteurize the milk, so at @63 maybe 20 minutes to pasteurize and slightly cook yokes? Pu-erh is still stuck in the whole mystical magic mojo jojo so an accurate reading of the flora really isn't possible without some tech.

Problem 5: is the fat content high enough?

Instead of emulsifying the sugar with the yokes I was going to incorporate the sugar/honey right before i put it in the ice cream machine

Any flaws pointed out, snorts, 'torts, or drunken incoherent ramblings welcomed. And if you must suggest something helpful, I would also appreciate that.

Also I'm cold infusing the tea. After a rinse and 2 steepings, i put the leaves in a jar of cold milk to sit in the fridge over a night or two. I did not dilute the milk with the first two steepings. 11grams of tea in 2 cups milk.

Definitely not enough fat. You'll end up with something more akin to a sorbet with just milk. I suggest you check out a blog called ice cream science.

Basic vanilla ice cream base.

Milk 2 liters
    Cream at 35% 700 grams
    bourbon vanilla beans 5
    sugar 560 grams
    atomized glucose 140 grams
    non fat milk powder 200 grams
    ice cream stabilizer 12 grams
    egg yolks 360 grams

Blend all ingredients with immersion blender then vacuum seal in a bag.

Set water bath for 185 degrees fahrenheit. Drop the bag in the water and immediately change the temperature to 179.6 degrees. Cook for 30 minutes. Chill in an ice bath. Once cool, strain through a chinois then blend with immersion blender to further release the flavor of the vanilla beans. Let base mature for 4 hours in the fridge then churn in your ice cream maker or freeze in pacojet containers to be spun the next day.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

i wish i had a pacojet container, Im Jerry-rigging my stand mixer by putting it in a large/not too large Styrofoam box and dumping ice all around it. I might actually make a batch of frozen yogurt, but 30 minutes at 180 is going to destroy my tea and the raw milk.

Theory, i'll definitely copy your recipe though , what are you using as your stabilizer..a blend or do you go strait

Quote Originally Posted by DDPslice View Post
    Theory, i'll definitely copy your recipe though , what are you using as your stabilizer..a blend or do you go strait
    https://www.amazon.com/Cremodan-Ice-.../dp/B00348H34G
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

:thumbs up: all the stabilizers