Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse sear burgers moisture loss

Reverse sear burgers moisture loss

Tried them yesterday on my Green Egg. Some hickory wood in with the charcoal. Patties were freshly ground chuck. 225F until internal was 120F, removed and got the Egg super hot with a cast iron skillet on the grate, then seared in the ripping hot cast iron pan. The smoke flavor was amazing, but the burgers were a little dry, I think in part because a lot of the fat dripped out through the grates onto my heat deflector below while smoking.

Anyone using this method do it successfully resulting in moist burgers? I've done bacon fat in the burgers, not wanting to do that with these. I'm thinking of putting the burgers on a small sheet pan to contain the juices, or individual aluminum foil "plates." Would also help keep them together when I remove from the grill and get temp up before searing.

Or maybe I just need to add more fat into the grind to begin with. I'm loving the reverse sear flavor. I'll never do steaks another way.

Quote Originally Posted by brianh View Post
    ... Or maybe I just need to add more fat into the grind to begin with.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. You didn't mention how long it took your burgers to come to temp. Were they fully chilled, straight out of the fridge or room temp before grilling?

They were very cold,right outta the fridge. Took maybe 20-25 min to come to 120F on the BGE. Think something underneath the patties would help? Or let come to room temp first?

Try an internal temperature of 95 F next time. Putting something under the patties will only collect the juices that you are driving out of the patties, not keep them in.
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Knificus Maximus
    I think 120 is probably too high of a temp to bring them up to. They're gonna be med rare from the carry-over heat before you even get the final sear on them. Maybe do 100 or 105.
    Edit- doh! Rick beat me to it!
    "With great knives comes great responsibility."
    -SpiderMan

Thanks. I was doing a test run for next week when I have some people coming over for burgers that like them well done. Ughh. These came out medium which i dont hate. Will try pulling earlier and searing longer over a less screaming pan I suppose. Maybe I should just grill to leather for them and eat something else.

Heat issues aside, try grating some onion into the ground beef. it adds moisture. Didn't believe it until I finally tried it.

Will do!

why reverse sear on burgers? i think a crispy crust is even more important for burgers so longer sear time is desirable (my preference for steaks as well but that's a different topic).
    add more fat to your grind, also try adding an egg yolk and worcestershire for increased moisture. up the temp to 325, you want to shorten the cooking time. another trick is to put some water in a metal can on the grill.

Something I've tried is making a very shallow flat pan of chic stock set with gelatin. Juliann it into small cubes and mid into ground beef. I use 80/20 lean/fat chuck. It does add significant moisture. Agree with Rick and Chris sear the meat when internal is ~95 degrees. Keep an eye on them too. Burgers cook quick
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.