Quantcast
Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us! - Page 105
+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 180 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1795

Thread: Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

There will be no pictures of this dish, as it is not attractive.
    There is a small town in the Tualatin valley called Verboort. It is a Dutch Catholic community that has a dinner each year to fund its parochial elementary school. The community comes together to put on the meal, they make most of the products in house. Some make sauerkraut, some raise pigs or cows to produce sausage that is smoked over vine maple and is only available at this one time. A friend of mine picks up some of the product for me on the one day that it is available, so I had a bucket of kraut and and a string of tube steak to play with.
    So I made up a batch of soup, Kraut beer soup with sausage. I browned up a bunch of bacon, then sauteed garlic and onions in the grease. I was supposed to use 16 oz of hefiweisen, butt instead used a bottle of dopplebock and some water to make the volume, 3 cups of chix stock, 3 cups of kraut and a pile of chopped spuds. After the spud soften a bit the bacon and the smoked sausage goes in and cooks a bit, then off heat a cup of sour cream rounds it out. The usual salt and pepper, of course.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    There will be no pictures of this dish, as it is not attractive.
    That sounds quite attractive to me.

Normally I don't go for "open a can and dump it in" dishes, but this one is pretty darn good when you're busy and going to be hungry in later. It's from a radio host I used to listen to in Orlando, FL (Jim Philips). Philips is most famous for his Surefire Birth Recipe, but here is Fast Eddie's Italian Meat.

Here are all the ingredients. The recipe calls for bottom round; today I'm using a shoulder roast and a sirloin tip because they were on sale and looked good. It's also a little more meat than called for (about 5 1/2 lbs)---but there's plenty of juice and it gets even better after a couple days in the fridge. I also use chopped peppers and just dump in both jars, juice and all--again, more than the recipe calls for, but tastes good and is easy.

Name:  FastEddie.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  20.5 KB

And all ready to go in the oven for 4-5 hours. Stud the meat with garlic, dump everything else in, and stick in the oven at 225.

Name:  FastEddie2.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  19.2 KB

Made a batch of rolls yesterday that we'll toast up for shredded beef, pepper, and cheese sandwiches and have them with dark beer for dinner tonite. (And don't forget the bowl of juice for sandwich dunking.)

Beef. Beer. Peppers. Garlic. Cheese. You can't go wrong.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Beef. Beer. Peppers. Garlic. Cheese. You can't go wrong.
    doesn't even matter whether that's 1/2/3/4/5 different dishes!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Not sure what you'd call this but I basically made banoffee but instead of bananas I used Crunchies (not sure if you get them in the US but that's what they're called here)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0474.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	11629

22lb Gobbler for tonight's dinner.
    By Max's advice slow roasted , ~16 hours, then crisped up for ~40 min.
    When I cut it I grapped the legs and they separated at the joints with zero effort, perfectly cooked meat.
    The pot in the pic has all the juice that came from the bird, I made a very very delicious gravy with it.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Nice bird.
    Jason

Looks great. I did a Hotel Breast on the grill with apple wood smoke - the color and crispiness of the skin was amazing. The apple wood came off the property and imparts a mild smoke flavor that is not over powering like a camp fire. I smoked it for maybe two hrs. then finished it in the oven indoors. Though it would not had a negative impact on the product to finish it on the grill.

I also made two kinds of dressing this year - my usual cornbread, sausage & pecan and a Portuguese style with Ciabatta bread, Portuguese spicy sausage in an egg custard type of binder. That was excellent. I also made gravy from smoked turkey stock and a well seasoned roux.

Name:  turkey1.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  11.7 KBName:  turkey2.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  12.0 KB

double post please delete

double post - sorry

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I LOVE my sous vide. A round roast seasoned with salt, pepper, and cloves of garlic. Tender, juicy, full of flavor, and oh so cooked perfectly:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Some bread I made, finally figured out this altitude thing:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Jason

+ Reply to Thread