Quantcast
Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us! - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 176 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Well, first I get a pig foot, with ankle, chopped into several pieces, boiled for a few minutes to get the gunk out, then into a pot with the scraps from 5 or chickens(giblets, carcasses, wing tips, etc.) and get that simmering, de-scumming for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile I'm roasting a head of garlic, a sliced onion, and a 2 inch chunk of galangal, sliced, for about an hour. When the veggies are roasted they go into the pot and the whole shebang simmers for 5 or 6 hours. That gets strained and the broth chilled so that the bulk of the fat can be lifted off. The last batch resulted in around 6 quarts of soup base.
    When I'm ready to make some soup I start with a quart of the base and add a bruised stalk of lemon grass, 6 kaffir lime leaves, a large clove of crushed garlic, and some slices of fresh galangal. I simmer this fro another hour and add some squirts of nam pla and lime juice.
    The noodles get boiled up and put into bowls while the strained soup poaches the veggies, in this case baby bok choy, and a boiled egg is set on the noodles with what ever protein is up for grabs. The contents of the pot are ladles onto the bowls and there ya go! I like some togarashi and green onions on top, sometimes sesame seeds/oil. Whatever is in the fridge is fair game for this. It can be varied endlessly.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Felt like a little spaghetti and meatballs, not exactly memorial day food but still tasty.

Thank you for the recipe Spike I will have to try that on one of my days off. I take it that you freeze the remaining soup base for later use?

Grilled lobsters and corn tonight

DinnerLobsters-2 by Steve_3D, on Flickr

Pretty easy to fix, I just par boiled them for 5 minutes, cut them in half and grilled them 5 minutes on each side brushing them with olive oil with lemon and a little BBQ rub.

DinnerLobsters-1 by Steve_3D, on Flickr

Dinner tonight, hanging out in the sink. Central Market had lobsters for $7.99 lbs.

Wow, you clearly have some serious photographic skills.

Damn I'm hungry

Great presentation and thanks for sharing the recipe!

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Wow, you clearly have some serious photographic skills.
    Thanks! I do like taking pictures

Yes, great photos! Do you grill your lobsters straight on the grill, or in that pan/foil?

And what do you like to do for the corn? Remove threads, tie husk, soak, and then grill?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Yes, great photos! Do you grill your lobsters straight on the grill, or in that pan/foil?

And what do you like to do for the corn? Remove threads, tie husk, soak, and then grill?
    Par boil first 5 minutes then straight on the grill. I brush the lobster with the olive oil mixture after cutting in half, then meat side down for 5 minutes, flip to shell side down and another brush of olive oil mixture and leave them on another 5 minutes. I used the grill pan to bring them back in off the grill and put some foil down to keep it from dripping on everything when I brought it in to the house. The corn I just peeled back the husk and removed the silk, ran a little water over the corn and husk and pulled the husk back up and tied them off. I started them about 15 minutes before I put the lobster on the grill, turning them when I put the lobster on and pulling them off the same time as the lobster.

+ Reply to Thread