Page 12 of 189 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Oh, I did crack the claws a little bit (gave them a wack with the back end of a heavy cleaver) before throwing them on the grill. It helps them cook at the same rate as the cut in half tails.

Thanks for the tip. I have always had my tail meat finish ahead of my claw meat. I will try cracking them next time.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Steak Dinner

Fixed a T-Bone Steak and Cedar paper wrapped asparagus with bacon tonight for dinner. Wife was out of town so I was able to use the bacon fat to season the steak.

Bacon by Steve_3D, on Flickr

SteakSeason by Steve_3D, on Flickr

Asparagus by Steve_3D, on Flickr

AsparagusRoll by Steve_3D, on Flickr

AsparagusDone by Steve_3D, on Flickr

SteakDone by Steve_3D, on Flickr

SteakCut by Steve_3D, on Flickr

Nice ! love a good steak on the bone those ceder paper wraps are fun to play with .

That T-Bone Steak and Cedar paper wrapped asparagus with bacon looks really, really GREAT!!!!

looks great geeks

What's the Cedar paper wrapping do for the taste and how is it cooked?

Once again, amazing pictures, will you share what type of camera you are using as well as settings.

Cedar paper is fun to play with and sort of reminds me of parchment paper packets. You soak the cedar in water, wine, sake or any other flavor you would like to steam with. Wrap the food and put it on the grill. It starts out steaming, then as it dries out wil start imparting smoke. The cedar flavor itself is very subtle and is more to do with the flavors you add to the wrap. It also makes a fun presentation to serve still on the cedar. Grill stores sell them in small sets of 8 or you can fine them in bulk at some Japanese food stores. Koren sells them in stacks of 50.

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Once again, amazing pictures, will you share what type of camera you are using as well as settings.
    Thanks Pete, I am shooting in the kitchen mainly on my cutting board while cooking. So it is nothing to fancy, but I do have nice photo gear. Probably the thing you are noticing the most is the lighting. I am using an off camera flash, in other words I have the camera in one hand and the flash with a diffuser in the other. This allows me to hold the flash off to the side and even back light it a little like they do in food photography. It makes a big difference than having a flash that is attached or is part of the camera body.

As for the camera I am using it is a canon 5d mark II, a 24x105mm lens and 580exII flash with a diffuser that I am using off camera.
    I am using the camera on manual set at f8 and letting the TTL of the flash set the exposure.

Thanks for sharing, I still can't get over the quality of pictures.