Inexpensive Knife for Maki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bprescot

Founding Member
Reaction score
So I got an inquiry about the Hiro AS 300mm from a guy looking to find a knife for maki rolls. He's in a pro kitchen, just starting out, near broke, and needs a knife that can handle 2-5 rolls at once.

I'm sure the Hiro can do it, but it also seems like it might be overkill. That and the guy is low on cash and I can't help but think there are cheaper alternatives that can get the job done at least as well if not better. Fujiwara 270 gyuto comes to mind at half the price. I was also thinking (might be crazy) that a CCK could do the job.

Any thoughts out there on this? I'm just trying to help the guy out and let him know what other, possibly better, definitely cheaper, possibilities might be.

-Ben

Lol! Are those the Sabatier's I see at BB&B 3 for $30? If so, I think he actually does want a decent knife. I'll use whatever is lying around when I'm doing maki, but what the heck do I know. Maybe it's different in a pro kitchen doing multiples at once so I thought I'd ask.

Laugh if you will, I've used the Global G-19 for slicing 5-6 rolls at a time. Originally it was purchased for breaking down large and small fish and slicing or portioning fish as well. So he can get many uses out of it.

Masahiro rosewood carbon series 240 or 270mm sujihiki.

These are a budget line; rosewood handle, no bolster, excellent carbon steel. BWJ and Koki can order them on request. Price is likely to be in the sub-$100 range.

But ya a Fujiwara FKH would be the obvious choice.

Any of those "budget" sujis will do. Betweeen 270 and 300 would be ideal and you can get something like this for around $80.

Thanks guys. Glad to see my instincts were right. Unfortunately the guy really wanted a wa. In my experience, the "Budge" and "Wa-Sujihiki" rarely go together.

Thanks for the help!

Ignoring the budget requirements, would a suji be a lot better or just a little better than using a 270mm gyuto (say, konosuke hd)

Back