Sharpening the Oroshi Hocho

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Something I wouldn't care to do often.

attachment.php

990633270_b9f85f97d2_b.jpg

man that is one huge amakusa , I wonder how they lap it if at all.

My spider senses tell me that these fellas know what they are doing.

I would not count on it. Look it's a fish shop, chefs are not well known for there knife sharpening skills + look at the bevel and edge, it's not very even.

Perhaps he is using a section of the stone each time, depending on the angle desired? Regular stones are too small for such a long knife. It calls for some body rocking motion. I wouldn't doubt his professional skill as each fish would be too expensive for him to mutialiate... In all probability he has a way/ technique to use a dished stone..

I am not so sure the stone is concave... look at the edge he is flattening the ura and the stone seems to be pretty flat to me, I think it looks that way because of the shape it has, I think it has a corner sticking out, or the picture could be warped, look at the guy behind his face seems to be warped. I don't think these guys would risk maiming a several thousand dllr fish with a bad edge and by the size of that knife we are probably talking about the huge ton or more tunas which go for hefty amounts.

Yeah the warping is the photo.

Insane photo!

Also +1 on chefs not knowing their arse from a hole in the ground about knives.

what chefs are you guys talking about??

are we gonna have to have a contest or something!! :D

Back